tiel abadoned eggs? help please - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Cat_Eyed_Lady
When I first started I used Kaytee but then I started to get a lot of babies with crop rot and started to look around for something else. I tried Lakes.... OMG, what a night mare!! Sticky green krude everywhere!! and the babies didnt seem to get as robust as they should have gotten. I then tried Zupreme... I love the stuff. Its very simple to mix for either day one babies straight through weaning. If it did happen to get flung everywhere (not sure how that would happen LOL) after it dries, you just roll it between your fingers and it comes right off... or if you catch it right away, a wet cloth wipes it straight away. Either way doesnt stain the feathers. The babies got really nice shaped and great feathering. I have never used roudybush so I cant comment on that. I used the Zupreme for the past 12 years or so for my keets, tiels, suns and then a different Zupreme for my greys (TMG) and all did great.

Is roudybush a white sticky type of formula?? I had to use something like that for a clutch I raised for someone and it was aweful to deal with. The babies themselves grew pretty decent and got nice feathers but it was so sticky it was almost impossible to get off the skin or feathers of the babies.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
kels451
I had originally bought Kaytee formula, but ended up ordering Roudybush after hearing horrible reviews on Kaytee. Plus, what I didn't know at first, Kaytee still puts ethoxyquin in all of their foods. :x

The Roudybush formula is white, but I'm not sure if it's sticky because I haven't mixed any yet. I'll mix a little and let you know. :]

Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Good luck Hope it isnt the sticky stuff!

btw.... thought I would mention also that since you are feeding from day one, to get some plain vanilla yogourt. You will need to add a TINY speck about every other feeding til they are able to produce the bacteria themselves for processing food I usually stoped useing it at about 4 weeks or so.

btw.... what kind of tiels are you expecting?? white face, yellow face or normals?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
kels451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady
Good luck Hope it isnt the sticky stuff!

btw.... thought I would mention also that since you are feeding from day one, to get some plain vanilla yogourt. You will need to add a TINY speck about every other feeding til they are able to produce the bacteria themselves for processing food I usually stoped useing it at about 4 weeks or so.

btw.... what kind of tiels are you expecting?? white face, yellow face or normals?
I bought some bene-bac that contains Lactobacillus strains plus a few others. :] Will that do alright?

The female is a cinnamon pearl and the male is a cinnamon split pied, so I'm not really sure what I'm expecting, lol. If I have the mutations listed wrong, please correct me! :]

Latte (female) is on the left, Emily (male) is on the right.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
kels451
This morning, 25 July, one of Emily and Latte's chicks hatched sometime between midnight and 3:30AM. :] I'm so ecstatic that one made it through the hatching, so now I hope all goes well hand-feeding since I have to hand-feed from day 1. I have decided to name this chick Maris which is Latin for "sea."

I was utterly surprised that this chick survived because I had to repair a crack in the egg a few days ago. I must've gotten it repaired in time and well enough for the chick to survive.

Maris is eating his Roudybush formula pretty good. Sometimes he/she is a little finicky when I first try to feed, but then he/she gobbles it up.

Here's a pic of little Maris!

Also, I weighed Maris before his first feeding. He/she weighed 5 grams. Is this a healthy weight?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
Cat_Eyed_Lady
The bene-bac sounds great I just did the easy route I guess LOL

You have the mutations correct and I must say they are gorgious! Super nice looking birds. You will probably end up with mostly cinnamons but it depends on what genes the parents are carrying..... so should be really interesting!!

Congrats on the new little baby!! the real work had begun lol He looks to be perfect sized. I look forward to seeing the other babies and how they begin to quill out to see what colors you will get Good luck with little Maris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!