omg this is not caused by inbreeding... what happened - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
snowgyre
If it's just one or two babies, it was probably just a bad egg like described before or, for whatever reason, the baby simply was weak in general. If you bred your females out to a wild-caught male, I sincerely doubt you'd have any genetic issues. What you described is pretty much the best genetic outcross you can get, so the birds are probably genetically robust. Not all babies are created equal, and social situations, aka "pecking orders", can affect your females' behavior. If there are dominant birds in your flock, there's a possibility that although you thought adequate food was being provided, that one of your submissive females weren't getting the nutrition they needed to make each egg strong. I don't suppose you know if the babies that died were one of the later eggs laid? Females often put most of their energy into the first few eggs they lay, anything that survives after that is a bonus in nature but is by no means a guaranteed success story.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Elizabeth Minton
well i do mark all my eggs by egg 1 and egg 2 and only one out of my two female breeders is laying... all young are kept in seperate cages after fledging. the baby that died was marked egg two and from the day it hatched it was considerably smaller than the other and it hatched a day late which i though was odd. i was mearly asking since i do not know pigeon genetics very well but i do understand the whole weaker younge thing so thank you for clearing that up a bit... i am not as keen on pigeon genetics as i am of ball python genetics and i am still in the process of learning more

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!