whats a good snake - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Fangthane
If you're want something somewhat unique and kinda large -generally topping out around 10' - you may want to consider a yellow anaconda. They're inexpensive and fairly easy to keep. It didn't take much more than a large tub of water to keep mine content.

Here's a cute little one:

Here's one that's closer to fully grown:

Old 07-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
xXBlueLipsXx
think I need a permit for a green anaconda (i assume its the same for a yellow one) I checked on my state for which snake needs a permit and not

Old 07-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
xXBlueLipsXx
I know some pythons are illegal in the state of texas or I need a permit to have it

Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBlueLipsXx View Post
think I need a permit for a green anaconda (i assume its the same for a yellow one) I checked on my state for which snake needs a permit and not
Since there's an itemized list of which snakes require the permit, if yellow anacondas aren't explicitly named, they don't require the permit.

Assuming that the following information isn't outdated, it seems to be a pretty simple process to get the required permit:

http://www.reptileexperts.com/Texas_Laws.htm

Quote:
Texas has pretty lenient laws when it comes to owning snakes (minus city ordinances which need to be checked on a different level). If you keep one of the larger constrictors, if you keep any venomous that is not native to Texas, then you require a simple permit that you can consider as a tax stamp, that you may pick up anywhere hunting license are available. The permit is called a "Recreational Controlled Exotic Snake Permit" (RCESP) and is available to anyone in the State of Texas who is allowed to purchase a license. This permit must be renewed annually (august 15th) and cost the holder $20 a year.

Fortunately, when you purchase a snake on this list, you have 21 days from purchase to be able to obtain a permit. During this time the seller will provide you with a proof of sale that will act as a temporary permit. After which time you will no longer be protected under your proof of purchase, and you are required to obtain the proper permit. Sellers of these snakes also fall under a slightly different permit based system. Individuals who plan on breeding or selling any of the snakes listed under the RCESP will need to purchase a "Commercial Controlled Exotic Snake Permit" (CCESP) for $60 annually. On top of the purchase of this permit, sellers are required by state law to keep a documented record of the sale, and include the buyers full name and address. This list of names must be then submitted to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), as well as be retained for no less than 2 calendar years. Your CCESP will also take the place of your RCESP. You must be able to provide a copy of your CCESP at the request of any TPWD official.

Let's take a look at what species are considered under this permit system:

- African Rock Python (Python sabae)**

- Asiatic Rock Python, aka Indian Rock or Sri Lankan Python (Python Molurus)**

- Green Anaconda (Eunectes murinus)

- Reticulated Python (Python reticulates)

- Southern African Python (Python natalensis)**

- All Non-indigenous (Native) Venomous snakes (Vipers, Elapids, Colubrids)

*Also included are ANY hybrids of these including Burmese x Ball Python, Burmese x Rock, Retic x Burmese, etc

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
hhmoore
Carpets tend to be nippy babies - they're very motion and touch sensitive - but they settle down as they grow.
Yellow anacondas are great....but you'd have to find one in TX, because they cannot be shipped (or otherwise transported) across State lines.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
bcr229
- What's your budget for the snake AND the enclosure + equipment, such as heat tape or radiant heat panel, thermostats, etc? Some species require enclosures that maintain appropriate temperatures and humidity, and they can cost more than the snake.

- How large of a snake do you want to deal with once it's grown up?

- If you are 16 I expect you'll be headed to college in a few years. Most dorms don't permit pets. So, how large of a snake do your parents want to deal with in a few years?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
xXBlueLipsXx
- I already have the tank, bedding, water bowle, lights, thermostate etc...all of that bought only budget I have is the snake its self which is nothing over $1,000
- nothing thats pass 10' or so give or take (depends really on how big around they are)
- I'm going to a vet school (im assuming they'll allow animals sense you know snakes are animals and im moving out when I go to college and am taking the snake with me, might buy my own apartment or house or something besides living in a dorm)

Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
xXBlueLipsXx
I dont mind nippy babies really as long as they will out grow it or settle down after awhile and yeaa I wouldnt mind a yellow anaconda but, my mom ...yeaa...sense she knows what a anaconda is she's going to say hell no to that lol ...so a anaconda wouldnt do in her house too much while im living there

Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
xXBlueLipsXx
alright thanks ^^ Fangthane, I did click on links for my state about which needs permit

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #20
Helenthereef
Have you thought about Rainbow Boas? They are stunning snakes.

Just look at some of the pics here and in other threads http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=444822

I don't personally know much about their care but there are good suppliers in here if you look around, and I'm sure they have care sheets.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!