whats a good snake - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #51
xXBlueLipsXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastchondros View Post
Bluelips, where are you located?
I'm located near Dallas, Texas

Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #52
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBlueLipsXx View Post
yeaa see this confuses me because people say GTB and GTP are mean and are agressesive yet I see people handling adult and babie of those species and there laid back ...it confuses me really
I think that the key here is that it is POSSIBLE to handle these snakes but that they are not the ones that tolerate it the best.

If you want a snake that you can handle regularly (and I certainly do, to me it's the best part of snake ownership, but it isn't important to everyone) you want one that will not be stressed by being made to tolerate something it is not in its nature to want.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #53
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
ah ok ^^ hmm how big to bloods get? and arent emeralds a little less aggressive then ATB's?
Quote:
ah ok ^^ hmm how big to bloods get? and arent emeralds a little less aggressive then ATB's?
Average is about 6ft. Real nice medium size snake. This is a young Borneo blood I had in the classifieds for awhile...still debating on whether or not to re list him.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1404681155696.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  55.9 KB

Old 07-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #54
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I think that the key here is that it is POSSIBLE to handle these snakes but that they are not the ones that tolerate it the best.

If you want a snake that you can handle regularly (and I certainly do, to me it's the best part of snake ownership, but it isn't important to everyone) you want one that will not be stressed by being made to tolerate something it is not in its nature to want.
I respect opinions like this but realistically things do not add up. In most cases, the snake has been raised in a temperature controlled "box" with dead prey and has been given the opportunity to thrive regardless of phenotype, sex, initial willingness, etc... . The call to nature is already gone. I have a little bit of everything and after seriously thinking about the behavior of my own animals, many of my arboreals "enjoy/utilize to their advantage/tolerate/do not care" about handling better than many of my balls. Chondros/emeralds are naturally alert snakes and once out of the cage will spend a few seconds doing quick tongue flicks before slowing down and casually gliding off their branch, performing slow lengthy tongue flicks. The longer ones indicate no sense of urgency or anticipation of harm, obviously they do not imply "happiness" either. Handling any snake is best kept under 30 minutes and in peace. Do not expect to take your chondro to a frat party, if you give him a broom handle though, he may drive you and pick you up...maybe.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #55
xXBlueLipsXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

Yeaa I really do want to be able to handle it for a bit honestly that is the best part of owning a snake in my opinion

Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #56
xXBlueLipsXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldBoid View Post
I respect opinions like this but realistically things do not add up. In most cases, the snake has been raised in a temperature controlled "box" with dead prey and has been given the opportunity to thrive regardless of phenotype, sex, initial willingness, etc... . The call to nature is already gone. I have a little bit of everything and after seriously thinking about the behavior of my own animals, many of my arboreals "enjoy/utilize to their advantage/tolerate/do not care" about handling better than many of my balls. Chondros/emeralds are naturally alert snakes and once out of the cage will spend a few seconds doing quick tongue flicks before slowing down and casually gliding off their branch, performing slow lengthy tongue flicks. The longer ones indicate no sense of urgency or anticipation of harm, obviously they do not imply "happiness" either. Handling any snake is best kept under 30 minutes and in peace. Do not expect to take your chondro to a frat party, if you give him a broom handle though, he may drive you and pick you up...maybe.
lol I dont do frat partys and if I did my snake would never go I dont want it to be stressed really, and thats cool always thought it was reverse btw the arborels and boas o.o

Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #57
xXBlueLipsXx
thats a nice looking blood and a good length really

Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #58
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
thats a nice looking blood and a good length really
Yeah, the borneos usually stay a little smaller, a little over 5 ft average. They are very thick though.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #59
SamBob
Something smaller, pretty, and somewhat uncommon would be a rosy boa but you want something bigger

Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #60
xXBlueLipsXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBob View Post
Something smaller, pretty, and somewhat uncommon would be a rosy boa but you want something bigger
yeaa I do at least 7.5 at some point in time unless there exotic like GTP or GTB or some cool color (takes a lot of color to impress me or unusual markings lol)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!