whats a good snake - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #71
Pmsayi
Diamonds are similar in temperament to other carpet pythons. Juveniles can be nippy at first but calm down fast. Cuban boas are pretty docile, it was the rainbow boas I was referring to that I found to be sometimes nippy as adults.

The only morph I am aware of with regards to black headed pythons are calico's but others here in the forum may know of other morphs.

My experience with ATB's is generally to expect to be bitten if you are going to handle them. It won't be a nip if they decide to bite and most likely you will be bitten several times. I found these to be beautiful display animals but they are by no means snakes you really want to handle regularly. I found males to be slightly more tolerant than females. In contrast I found my ETB's to be pretty laid back (contrary to what is commonly written) and very tolerant of handling (short periods 15-20 minutes max. usually once a week when servicing their enclosures). That is my personal experience, others may have had a different experience.

As far as the GTP my experience is they seem to stress when handled. A close friend of mine also found this to be true with his GTP's. His however would bite in addition to going off feed. Mine is very tolerant of me performing routine maintenance and does not attempt to strike when I am doing so. She sometimes will venture towards me with curious tongue flicks and or investigate what I'm doing. This level of interaction does not appear to be stressful to her. She is very alert and aware of what goes on outside her enclosure as well. We often see her at the front of the enclosure scoping out the room. I enjoy her and accept her for what she is and does. I no longer feel a need to handle every snake that comes my way so this relationship between keeper and kept doesn't bother me. If your primary desire is to handle the snake you acquire I think there are far better choices.

Emeraldboid is referring to the tendency of many carpets to lose their vibrant color (if they have it at all) as they age appearing muddy or creamy. Where carpets are concerned it pays to pay for a good lineage that is proven to maintain their color as they age.

If you are going to keep the fish tank I wouldn't use it to house reptiles in or incubate eggs. Fish tanks are best utilized to house fish in.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #72
Lucille
Hannah,

There are a number of high quality vendors here on Fauna.
Why not go to the expo not to buy but to look around, talk and ask questions. Come back, give yourself some time to think it all over, and then maybe make a purchase.

Craigslist is a good place to find habitats for reptiles at a decent price, you just have to do a lot of looking, be willing to buy when you see a deal, and also be willing to spend time making sure the habitat is clean and disinfected prior to use.

Also if you do a search there are plans you can find right here on Fauna for making your own. Tubs are good and cheap too.
I have a lot of respect for the way you are asking questions first before buying.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #73
xXBlueLipsXx
ah well the flash made it look teal lol. ohh really? though there would be some CB red tail rats. ah I want quality besides brown looking brown is a little bit boring unless they have unique patterns on them. and the texas show theres about 25+ vendors there, and im thinking about shipping but I dont know who is a good to buy from and if there animals will come in good or bad condition

Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #74
xXBlueLipsXx
ah ok best to use for fish or rodents probably then or a few geckos lol that are small sense the top has a slide ontop and a pin that keeps it in there lol

Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #75
xXBlueLipsXx
and ohh thats what EmeraldBoid ment oh ok makes sense I ment like they look nice but after a month or two there colored face e.e

Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #76
xXBlueLipsXx
and the expo is only 2 days which gives me at least several hours to think while im there. I've notice there are nice breeders on here ^^ also last time when I went there I did A LOT of questions and thinking which probably annoyed some venders lol. and i thought about craigs list but it kinda makes me afraid to order because the glass in shipping could shatter or crack only fear in the shipping of cages really I was already planning out how I would set up the cage when I buy a bigger one. Thank you ^^ I prefer to do research first on a snake then go on the only reptile site i know (which is here) that have expert advise and info on how big the cage should be even for a baby I need a bigger tank (kinda wish my mom didnt talk me into buying a small one I wanted the biggest on there 35 x 35 the one I have is a 10 x 10 basically a 10 gal in opinion)

Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #77
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Craigslist is a good place to find habitats for reptiles at a decent price, you just have to do a lot of looking, be willing to buy when you see a deal, and also be willing to spend time making sure the habitat is clean and disinfected prior to use.
This is an excellent point - if you have cash, a truck, and a strong back (or a helper), you can pick up the larger PVC or melamine reptile enclosures at awesome prices from your local craigslist or Facebook reptile forums. The larger enclosures are usually too big and/or heavy to make shipping worthwhile.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #78
hhmoore
You're contradicting yourself, Hannah. First, you were okay with species requiring strict attention to husbandry - liking the challenge, even - now you're not.
If you can't handle a blood's requirements, don't even look at red tailed green rats - I've already stated that those have specialized needs, and that not many people have long term success with them. There are a few people breeding them - and, like bloods, the cbb are more tolerant of minor fluctuations in conditions - but that doesn't mean they will survive/thrive if you can't commit to maintaining a proper environment.
Diamonds have their issues, too, BTW, as many of the less commonly kept/bred species do.

You might not like "common"; but, frankly, common is a better option for somebody at your stage of life. You've got a lot of changes coming over the next 5-8 years; and, even if you don't lose interest, you may find your life unnecessarily complicated if you take on a more "needy" species.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #79
xXBlueLipsXx
I do like challenges but the way its sounding like if everything is not perfect the animal WILL die from it e.e like 1 little minor error it will die from it ... ._. I can do challenges in husbandry but not a challenge like if I make 1 small mistake it'll die instantly type of challenge e.e thats what I ment when I said no to the blood, it was sounding if I make a SMALL tiny mistake it would die from it ...thats what I ment by no to the blood snakes because like your stating I do want them to thrive/ survive in it but the way it was worded made it seem like it wouldnt e.e. and I know ALL species of animals have issues too just like humans have issues also lol.
and yeaa I know what you mean by common snake should be the way to go. and the needy species :/ just I get so bored with common species like petstore common its like ok thats cool but theres not to much color or some challenge to them for me. (not trying to contradict myself i get easily confused with wording sometimes e.o)

Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #80
xXBlueLipsXx
I'll give craigslist a try for the cage buying for decent prices around and near my area e.e where its close for a pickup locally

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!