Crested gecko sticking to the floor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
Katie.Shinkle
Crested gecko sticking to the floor

No, not just his/her feet. This little one is sticky feeling all over. The toes stick, the crests are stuck to his/her head, etc. Having mobility Issues due to it.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I got him/her a few days ago. Has some stuck shed, but not over entire body. Also has a bit of a wavy tail (which he/she promptly threw today while I was trying to video him/her walking). Adding calcium, has had two saunas now to help with shed. I just can't g figure out what it is.

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Ki...n1xj9.mp4.html

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Pasodama
When a gecko sheds (or just prior to shedding) they develop some lubricating fluid between the new skin and the old skin (old skin that is to be shed off).
Am wondering if there is something going on with that.
Also, when this fluid starts to dry out, it does become tacky/sticky.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Katie.Shinkle
Maybe it dried and became sticky. I would think saunas would help. Sadly, this little one passed last night. I don't know what exactly happened, but I'm sure I may have over stressed the poor thing with saunas and trying rub stuck shed away with a moist q-tip.

I do wonder, though, if a light oil (coconut oil, maybe) would have helped. I know oils have been used to help with impaction with, at least, bearded dragons. Not sure if it would help the 'skin' in a similar fashion as it does for us, and other mammals.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Pasodama
Oh no, that is so sad to hear. Sorry for your loss.

Supposedly, a dab of mineral oil, on a q-tip, can help with the removal of dried/stuck shed. Have never tried it myself.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Katie.Shinkle
Thank you. I may have to try that. Maybe with coconut oil. Mineral oils tends to leave a barrier of the skin (like, not good on our skin, as it clogs up your pores). Coconut oil won't though. Or olive oil. Mineral oil is also petroleum based, so yuck. Lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!