Adoption fees - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I've recently gotten a new dog~ I'd gone to the pound and looked at the dogs but not picked one out~ then a friend who works for the pound in another county brought me a puppy that would be euthanized if she wound up "in the system" because she was just too young......for FREE!

Uuuummm.......yeah......FREE
FREE dogs are EXPENSIVE! LOL! Would have been MUCH cheaper for me to pick up a dog at the pound and have it's shots, spay, microchip done there! I know because both of my cats are pound kitties!

I'm glad we took our puppy in~ I don't really mind having spent so much money on her~ but a FREE dog aint cheap! I'd rather have paid the $100 adoption fee!

Reasonable adoption fee's should be acceptable to anyone looking to bring in a new family member~ and anyone unwilling to pay a reasonable adoption fee.......is probably even more unlikely to pay the $200 spay, four trips to the vet for shots at $60 a trip and the $40 microchipping fee (and then the training, the toys, the treats......you get it~ I'm broke!)

Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #12
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
!

Reasonable adoption fee's should be acceptable to anyone looking to bring in a new family member
Congrats on the new 'free' puppy, we want pix!!!

Here in Texas, adoption from a shelter is a world class bargain because the law requires speutering prior to release, and they give them shots and a heartworm test too in most of the shelters I am familiar with.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #13
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks~ I don't have any new pics of her~ and she has changed so much since we got her. I'll try to get some new pics of her tonight~ we are guessing she is a german shepard/collie mix~ with who knows what else in there!

California has the same laws about spay/nueter. Probably nessessary as there are so many people out there that won't spay/nueter for some reason~ Even people I KNOW can afford to pay for the surgery. I just don't get that~and it can be done cheaper than the $200 I paid~ but I went for the "optional" pain medication and antibiotics (in whose world is pain medication OPTIONAL after a body part is CUT OUT?) Anyway~ it can be done much cheaper~ and you save a LOT of money on lisencing if the dog is fixed~ but I know I have neighbors I can see thier male dogs are obviously "intact"

Old 11-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
Lucille
She sounds adorable. Does she have a name yet?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yes~ we've got her on Fathers Day so I guess "recently" is so recent! Her name is Xochytl ~ pronounced "So-Chee"~ It's Aztec and means "Flower"
This was her when we got her~ but she doesn't look anything like that now!

I'll attach the most recent pic of her~ but it's atleast a month ago
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #16
Lucille
She is gorgeous!!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 AM   #17
Schlyne
It amazes me when I go into the local Petland and see the high prices on mixed breed dogs and people willing to pay them.

The county animal shelter adoption fee includes a vet visit, some of the shots (i forget which ones exactly), spay/neuter, and microchipping.

I adopted my cat from the shelter several years ago. Considering she had a case of upper RI when I got her (it was January), I doubt she would have made it if I hadn't adopted her.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #18
Beardie
People buy from stores because they think it guarantee's them a healthy well bred animal with AKC papers. If they only knew....

The puppy's in stores like Petland come from a broker who gets them from a puppy mill. The AKC papers they get are from whatever two dogs the puppy mill send in to AKC, it's not necessarily the two that were bred together. Quite often the puppy mills keep a group of dogs together and constantly let them breed freely. Whatever happens happens. They then either put down or dump at pounds any puppies and "used up" adult dogs they believe a broker won't buy or worse...put them up for sale ,sometimes in groups, at illegal animal auctions.

To be more on track with this thread I would like to point out that animal rescues do not always put a lot of money into the dogs/cats etc that they take in. Some are fortunate enough to only need to be housed with a rescuers family for awhile to determine the dogs/pets needs and to adopt it out to the family that has not just the love but the ability to care for the dogs needs. Other dogs are not so lucky. Quite a few are brought in needing shots, speutering, are heartworm positive or worse, need major surgery like hip replacement because of hipdysplasia.

So, what I'm trying to say is, with some dogs it's only a matter of feeding and care while others could cost the rescues $2,000 to $5,000 but the adoption fee is always the same no matter what the rescue has put into the pet that was either neglected or unwanted when they took it in.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Beardie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yes~ we've got her on Fathers Day so I guess "recently" is so recent! Her name is Xochytl ~ pronounced "So-Chee"~ It's Aztec and means "Flower"
This was her when we got her~ but she doesn't look anything like that now!

I'll attach the most recent pic of her~ but it's atleast a month ago
I did want you to know that I think your girl is just adorable!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #20
Bar None Reptiles
I am pretty sure that is is required by US law that any animal being adopted from a shelter be spayed or neutered. This is what sets a shelter apart from a pet store and grants them the non-profit classification that most shelters are considered and allows them to accept donations. I don't think people see spending their money at a pet store consider it better spent because they think it is AKC registered, it is usually done as an impulse buy. Which majority of the time they end up dumping the pet at a shelter. Of course there are also people who use this as an inexpensive way of aquiring their breeding stock. Also, for those out there who need to have their pet altered, call your local shelter, many of them have a program where they offer lower cost spay or neuter either at their facility or a voucher at a local vet. At our shelter we did dogs of ANY size for $68 and cats $58, male or female. Then you can turn around and use that extra money you saved to adopt someone else who needs a home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!