Calling all indigo keepers... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #11
Jedito
Deadline?

Hi Matt, I have one fresh shed and will have another in a couple of weeks. Should I wait for the second shed or send you the first one now? Just not sure of your deadline or how fresh the shed must be.

Ken

Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #12
matt rand
wait for the second shed

just keep the first skin in a clean plastic ziploc bag. mark them and keep them separate.

thanks kent!

matt

Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
BWSmith
My dad always said that there is no doing like overdoing. I got your unicolor shed but did not have a ziplock handy. So I took it out with sterile hemos and put it in a new sterile specimen container with all of the pertinent info on it.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #14
matt rand
thanks and a little more info...

thanks BW.

for those of you sending skins, please make sure they are pretty dry. they can be as moist as they are when they come off the snake, but not wet as they would be coming straight out of the water dish.

if unsure, just hang it somewhere clean and out of the way for a couple hours. we can extract DNA from the dry skin.

thanks again,

matt

Old 08-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #15
DesertHerper
You want skin from any type? I just bought three baby Texas and they're about to shed.. I'd be happy to toss the shed in a bag and send one your way..

Old 08-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #16
matt rand
Yes

hi marcia,

we want to run a few other species within Drymarchon, so yes, please send a couple texan skins to the address at the beginning of this string.

thanks in advance,

matt

Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
matt rand
Some initial results...

(same message posted on KS.com, watch its longevity there)

hi all,

we're getting some interesting results on some preliminary screens of the 16s ribosomal RNA from the mitochondria. this is something we tried on a whim and are surprised to see variation. so far, the variation matches what i know about my 2.2 easterns.

my sib pair are identical (not surprising because mitochondrial genes are maternally inherited) and i have a female with only a few differences and a male even more distantly related to the female. that means three different maternal lines in four snakes.

join the fun and send us your sheds!

matt

Old 09-01-2006, 01:44 AM   #18
matt rand
poof!

i just don't understand! the message (above) on KS was dinged in less than 2 hours. KS -- where genetics and conservation are taboo. go figure.

matt

Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Eric East
Thanks for the info!

BTW, I re-posted it at that other place.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #20
thesnakeman
Hey all,
I gave them a true peice of my mind a long time ago. Why don't you all join the club and let'em have it!!! I think Ginger Sanders is the main culprit. If you don't speak up, they won't hear you. You have to speak up loud and clear,...sound off like you've got a pair! Let those jackasses know what's what!

I'll have a skin for you in about a week Matt. Iris is blue now, and I think Mongo is about a week behind her.
T.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!