saying good-bye to a good friend - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
techgirl
saying good-bye to a good friend

Today I had to euthanize my 7 year old Whippet due to aggression issues. Ever since I had owned her she was always a dominant female. Being single at that time, I was able to work with her on alot of them. I never did get her to be able to socialize with other dogs aside from the dog I had. She also had severe separation anxiety that I was able to alleviate by having my other dog with her. Mind you they could never be separated at all without her throwing a fit or mutilating herself. When my daughter was born, she showed all the classic signs of being fearful. We did our best in preparing her before the baby came and continued in re-enforcing basic training in her around the baby and without the baby present. Now that my daughter is 2 and very active, she has made it clear that she will not accept her. We have done our best in keeping the 2 separate during feedings and when the dogs were sleeping, but also made her a part of their everyday lives by having her accompany us on walks and even hand them treats when she gave a command to try and make a positive re-enforcement with her. I have seen her give my daughter some defensive postures when she has gotten too rambuncitous around her and quickly put her in her place. Today she began baring her teeth at her without provacation. All my daughter did was walk into the room we were in and hug the other dog that was standing next to her. My daughter went to go hug her and I stopped it before it got any further. Mind you my boyfriend and I have talked to rescue groups and shelters in the area when I found out I was pregnant to see if she would be a candidate for re-homing. I was told with her issues that she was not a good candidate and should be euthanized. We didn't want that for her and figured we would work with a trainer and hope for the best. Unfortunately we also met quite a few trainers who said the same thing about her. I just wished it never had to come to this. But I must think of my daugther's safety first and foremost. I don't know if anyone here has ever been in the position I was in this morning. I know it was hard and painful for me to hold her and tell her how much I loved her while it was being done. I hope I never have to experience that ever again.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Lucille
Jessica I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. It sounds like a very tough choice to make, and you obviously gave it a lot of thought and listened to others before you chose. No one could expect more of you, and of course the safety of your young children is paramount. But I know it must have been difficult for you .

Old 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Ginger Ambrose
I am so sorry . I have had to make the decision to have a loved pet put down. It is one of the most difficult to deal with. My thought are with you and your family.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
Cat_72
I'm very sorry you had to go through this Jessica.....but I do believe what you did was the best thing not only for your daughter, but for your dog as well. With the issues she already had, rehoming her could have very well just traumatized her more.....and made her even more fearful and unpredictable. And I know I coud not have been comfortable with the thought that the new owner may not have been as able to handle these issues, and someone else's child may have ended up being hurt.

You gave your doggie the best life she could have had, and gave her a humane end.....if only all were as lucky.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
DAND
It always hurts to lose one you love. I am sorry for you loss Jessica.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
techgirl
Thank you all for your condolences and support. It was a hard first night without her. My other dog seems to be doing good so far, but then he's outlived now 2 whippets(and he's around 16!). I think this will be my last whippet. I fell in love with the breed when I was single and swore I would always have one in my life, especially the brindle variety. Seems they aren't really meant to be family dogs from the research I have done because they are high strung. My first whippet put all the info to shame by being the greatest. She was calm, social and LOVED kids. When I used to take her camping, she was the center of attention with the kids and she loved every minute of it. I only got to have her to the young age of 3 because she developed Addison's disease which eventually destroyed her kidneys. Now I lose Huan at 7 yrs. Somehow I get the impression that I shouldn't have Whippets.
I do have 2 friends who breed dogs. One does Borzois and the other Pitbulls. It will be some time before I even look at getting another dog and I definitely don't want to do the puppy route. We'll see how that goes. I just don't want my older dog to get lonely and I believe having another dog around did keep him more active. I know it's going to be awhile before I get a dog but know one will be here in the house sooner or later. Just gotta see what falls in my lap.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
techgirl
Talking Keep your fingers crossed :)

My friend and vet who breeds Borzois is showing some of his dogs tomorrow. They're all females and about 6-7 years old. They carry the gene that causes puppies to be born without eyes(gross I know) so they would be perfect as pets. Both are finished American Champions and raised with kids and small animals. I don't know if it's too soon to even think about getting another dog, but it seems so quiet here with just one dog and I think he does miss the company. Plus now with it just being him, my daughter is all over him and then some. Thank God he has the patience of a saint. I just can't convince her that he is not a horse and can' be ridden. The poor boy is about 14-16 yrs old and does have arthritis in his back and just can't have that done to him. But all he does is get up and walk away when she gets too rough with him. If he's really had it, he'll come to me and give me a moan as to tell me it's time to coop her up.
Dean and I have talked about if we ever had to get another dog that it would be best for us to make it an older dog and even a retired show dog because of the temperment. I just like the idea of getting an older dog and I know I don't have the time to channel a puppy's energy into something other than destruction and mayhem.
Tomorrow will be the first day my daughter gets to play with some of the puppies too. Can't wait to see how that goes. I have a feeling she's going to love it and then some. They are only going to bring out 2 to start so she's not overwhelmed and see how she interacts with them.
Wish me luck tomorrow. Maybe I will find a new friend for my old timer and a new baby girl for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!