I'm getting a Borzoi!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
techgirl
Red face I'm getting a Borzoi!!!

I know I stated in my last thread that I would be looking at some of my friend's Borzois today and we did. He introduced us to Diva and Bambi. They are both 6-7 yrs old Bambi is almost solid white and Diva is white with some red. Bambi seem to take to the baby more than Diva and is a smiler!! She liked to investigate the baby and was fine with the baby approaching her from all angles. She is the typical aloof Borzoi with a gentle demeanor. After spending a few hours with her, we decided that we would like to try her out. I'll be picking her up on Thursday so I have time to get the house ready for her. I didn't want to take her right away because I need to get the food she is used to and some other little essentials that all new dogs need. I think she will be a good fit for our family and I hope it works out. She is definitely a chow hound and they warned me that she will eat everything and anything and gets fat easily if we let her. I find that more convincing to get me walking again to try and avoid that. I have no qualms about me and my wieght, but I never did like having fat dogs. God knows I can stand some wieght as well, so I see the incentive for some exercise here.
I'll get some pics when I pick her up. She truly is a beautiful dog and I have to admit I fell in love with her quiet nature. Hope it works out.
Oh and my daughter got to play with the 6 wk old puppies and she had a blast. She eventually winded up playing with all 8 puppies and is now sleeping very soundly LOL. We tried her with the 10 week olds but they proved to be too much for her and she got scratched up some and knocked down quite a bit. She had so much fun though. She does seem to have a preference for the white coated dogs because she kept going back to them. Hope her and Bambi get along when they're in the house together as they did at the kennel today.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
techgirl
Here's a pic of the Borzoi I'll be picking up on Thursday. What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
techgirl
P.S. that's my little girl in the background. Ain't she cute?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Lucille
She is indeed a very cute little girl.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
techgirl
Thank you Lucille. Now do you mean the dog or the kid? LOL

Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
techgirl
having some fears and trepidations on new dog

I will be picking up Bambi tomorrow to our trial adoption and now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Ever since I have seen my Huan become vicious toward my daughter, I can't get that image out of my mind. Now mind you Bambi is going to be double Huan's weight and twice her size. I guess it can be normal jitters of getting a new dog and wanting everything to go along smoothly. I hope she gets along with my other dog and the cats and of course my daughter. I just keep having this deep down fear that she will be like Huan. I know it's silly but I just can't help it. I really do want a second dog in the house because it is just too lonely with just one. Also I am so attached to Tal(my 16 yr old dog) that if I were to lose him, it would devastate me to the point where I would not be able to function for a short period of time. I am fortunate that he is very healthy and incredibly active for his age. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen to them? Thanks for listening.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Cat_72
I can understand your nervousness, but what you went through with your Huan is most definitely the exception rather than the rule. Just start everything slowly....work Bambi into the family. Make sure she has enough quiet time, and don't overwhelm her with everything all at once. Spend time with just her and you, and just her and your daughter, but spend that same alone time with just you guys and Tal as well. Balance everyone's time until you are sure there will be no jealousy issues.

Borzois are WONDERFUL dogs.....you are fortunate to have this opportunity. But if you have any doubts, work them out now before you grow attached to her.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
techgirl
Thank you Cat for that. I guess I just needed some reassurance on the whole thing. Bambi is home now and I have her in a crate so everyone can get used to everything. I did bring my dog Tal over to the breeder's place to meet her and they hit it off very well. She was wagging her tail and all over him and he peed on her(trust me, it's a good sighn ). When she was first let out of her run she ran straight to my daughter and checked her out very well and did keep coming back to her. I know I will be pretty much be keeping her in a crate like as if she is a puppy until everyone gets used to the routine of the new addition. She is housebroken, but I think this will be better for everyone involved to avoid any conflicts while the adjustment period is going on.
Wish me luck.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Cat_72
I'm so glad things seem to be going so well.....and you sound like you have a fine handle on how to get her gradually introduced into the family. I've never seen a Borzoi that showed ANY sign of aggression (well, unless you were a little furry bunny), I really doubt that you will have anything to worry about. Sighthounds have a very unique personality, I think you will enjoy her very much.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
techgirl
Well it's been 48 hours and so far, so good. I did crate her the first night, but that lasted about 6 hours. When Dean got home from work and walked them, he just left them loose and she did fine. I do put up a gate that keeps her out of the living room at night now and she does great. She loves the walks we take 3 times a day. Doesn't even care about the cats. Do have to watch her around food because she is a chow hound and will steal food if given the chance. I think this is going to work out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!