Shipping in the heat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
MDC_Ophiuchus
Shipping in the heat

So I may shipping a small Dumerils boa from Mobile, AL to somewhere in Arizona soon. I've shipped in the cold months before, but not in the summer.

I know I'll keep checking the weather as it nears time to ship. But how would some of you suggest shipping in May from one fairly warm climate to another?

Should I use cold packs?
Should I still bother with lining the box with styrofoam?

Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
KathyLove
I have shipped to Yuma, Az in the summer. I would only guarantee live arrival if the customer picks it up at the FedEx office no later than 11 A.M. (if it is really hot). They USUALLY put boxes for pick up in the office, but better safe than sorry. I don't trust deliveries to a business (or worse, to a home business) when the temps are REALLY hot. There is always the possibility of a delay, and your cold pack will be melted by then.

Plus - I would use cold packs, separated as far from the snake as possible by wads of newspaper - just in case FedEx messes up and takes longer than it is supposed to. Even though they will be melted, they will still be cool, and will provide some thermal mass to delay heating. If it arrives on time (it virtually always does, at least to the FedEx office), there shouldn't be any problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!