Shipping in the heat..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
mxracer4life
Shipping in the heat.....

I am going to be shipping out my snake next week and the temps are supposed to be in the high 80's here AND where I am shipping it to. Now thats not too hot but it can get hotter in the delivery process, correct? Should I use ice packs? If so, I was going to tape them to the top of the box, keeping them away from the snake itself. What type of ice pack should I use? I know I have used the ones from wal-mart before and they quit working after a few hours. Any help would be great. Thanks, later

Old 06-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
mxracer4life
I shipped reptiles a few years ago and I always wrote on the box: FRAGILE - LIVE LIZARDS all over the box. Can I still do this? Is there any change in laws?

Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
hhmoore
There are a couple of considerations when shipping in the summer months. You aren't so much interested in the forecast highs, as the temps that will be encountered during the shipping process. I always drop off my boxes in the early evening (make sure of the drop off times for overnite delivery), that way, the worst of the days heat is past AND they are not spending extra time in the trucks. If you are having the package picked up, or the temps are pushing 90 when you are preparing the box, you might want to use a cool pack to drop the initial temps a bit. Of course, this can vary according to the species being shipped.

As for the box, styro lined is still a must - it not only insulates against extreme and varying temperatures, but it adds stability/security to the packaging. And yes, it is required that the box be labeled with the contents. Live Harmless Reptiles, as well as the quantity, common name(s), and scientific name(s)

Old 06-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #4
KathyLove
Be sure to send it via the premium morning delivery service. It will cost a little more, but not much. If the recipient is not in a good sized city, be sure to check to see if morning delivery is even available in that location. If it will be hot, try to get the buyer to pick it up at the local FedEx office (or whichever service you are using). Most delivery mistakes are made by the end delivery man rather than en route across the country, and you can avoid the delivery person by having the buyer picking it up in the morning at the office, before it gets hot.

Unfortunately, the ice packs melt before it gets hot the next day (if they don't get the package delivered in the morning), but they may still help a little in providing some cool thermal mass that will take a little longer to heat up when exposed to hot temps.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
The BoidSmith
Harald's and Kathy's posts pretty much sum up what I think also. In town I’m lucky enough to be able to hand deliver the box to the truck on their last stop before heading towards the airport. That’s at 7 pm exact every day and there is thus no point for me to include cold packs. Packages arrive at most locations before 10:30 am. If you check the broadcasted temperatures on the delivery end and the maximum is even 90, you should be on the safe side (unless of course an accidental delay out of your control). The maximum is usually predicted for noon to early afternoon, it’s thus very unlikely that it will be that high by mid morning, 70-80 at most.

Regards.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
gmherps
I want to add to the already great advice from seasoned shipping veterans here. Also be sure, especially during extreme hot and cold weather conditions that the area you are sending herps to is not considered a "rural" delivery time. I sent a box of BP's the other day to a city in IL. Although the quote I was given online was for Priority Over Night, the delivery location was only guaranteed at a time of 4:30pm. Not the original 10:30am that the site quoted. Be sure to double check everything before you send anything out.

My shipment arrived safely and at 11:40am, but I was stressing big time about my customers snakes.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
One of the ironies of the topic of this thread is that one of the best descrptions I have seen on how to ship was written on this site by Chris Johnson.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!