Jungle/diamond reaction to Baytril? :( - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Will0W783
The prescription didn't say anything. I just got the pre-filled insulin syringes. They were filled up to 5 units, which I think is like .2 mL, but not sure. I asked the vet and he said 5mg/kg was the dosage he used. But as I don't know how to convert from insulin syringe "units" to SI units, I can't tell exactly. But the snake weighed 5 ounces, I just double-checked when I talked to him last night- she wasn't 79 g, but 49g. She was about 3-feet long but slender, as carpets are.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Will0W783
Also, has anyone had experience with pneumonia in a snake giving it neurological problems towards the end? The vet told me that it often does, but I couldn't find anything online about neurological problems being associated with pneumonia.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Uroboros
Your weights are weird, 5oz does not relate to 79 or 49g. 5 units of standard strength baytril is a LOT for even a 5 oz snake (~140).

I just mention because the toxicology reports on Baytril in the link I provided showed some dizzyness and minor neuro symptoms in adults.

On the other side, I had a snake with mouth rot (decades and decades ago) and it went insane before it died (dumb ass kid killed a snake). Lots of neuro symptoms.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Will0W783
Maybe I misheard the vet when he told me the weights. The scale he used was in another room. I remember him saying 5oz, so probably she was 149g and I misheard it as 49g.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Art Klass
When my first boa died my vet told me that she didn't think it was IBDV. I insisted on the necropsy and to specifically test for the disease. When the results came back positive that same vet euthanized my 40 boas.

I sincerely hope that the death of your python was a result of the baytril. You know your situation best. I'm very sensitive to situations regarding any snake with neurological issues, especially when paired with other maladies. It just seems to be the responsible thing to test for. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
Will0W783
Thank you Art Klass, I will be crossing my fingers and keeping a close eye on my other snakes for the next few weeks, but so far so good. I am so sorry to hear of your problems with IBDV- that must have been absolutely devastating- emotionally,financially, and every other way. I really appreciate the advice and caring responses of everyone.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #17
MikeCurtin
I'm the friend Kim was speaking of, and we have been in contact through this whole thing. Considering the time frame, I would have a hard time believing it was anything but the Baytril. The snake was sick, but acting like any normal sick snake would. About 12 hours after the first dose, this animal was acting very strangely. As any responsible keeper would, Kim called the emergency line for some advice and was told to give a second dose. After another 12 hours, the snake was dead.

Kim, as you know, you have my sympathy. I would probably get on the phone with your vet and ask him about the potency of the Baytril, the dosage by weight, and how much was prescribed. Explain to him that you'd like everything spelled out for you [hee, hee, I'm just a dumb girl (or pierced/tattooed freak in my case)...could you explain that?], as you are new to this. Once you have all the numbers, I'm sure one of use can find out if that was the correct dosage.

If you find you can't get any descent answers, continue to keep an eye on your collection, but try not to make yourself sick over it. Good luck, and I hope to see you at Hamburg.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Will0W783
Thanks Mike! As always, I greatly appreciate your advice and care in the matter. I did call the vet and he said he had "double-checked" the dosage, but didn't have the paperwork on hand to give me the actual potency. (Convenient, I know...hmmmm). I doubt I will get any further information out of him, but next time, (if there is one) I will make sure to get the actual potency and dosage before I leave the vet's office.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
Thanks Mike! As always, I greatly appreciate your advice and care in the matter. I did call the vet and he said he had "double-checked" the dosage, but didn't have the paperwork on hand to give me the actual potency. (Convenient, I know...hmmmm). I doubt I will get any further information out of him, but next time, (if there is one) I will make sure to get the actual potency and dosage before I leave the vet's office.
Yes, quite. It's been about a year and a half since I've seen my vet and I can call them today and they can recite to me out of the folder what was prescribed and when and for how long.

Your vet should be able to do that, too. If the wrong strength was loaded into the syringes then that's another matter. I'm shocked at the "preloaded syringes" thing. Baytril is sensitive to light and breaks down moderately quickly.

I'd do a little googling on Baytril for toxicology reports. Particularly looking for neuro symptoms at overdose levels.

IMO, with all the confusion over the weight of the snake, the strength of the Baytril, the lack of paperwork on a drug they prescribed. I'd be looking for a new vet regardless of the outcome with this one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
baytril, diamond python, drug reaction, ibd