long term effects of hognose venom - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
vandrad9
long term effects of hognose venom

I have a western hognose and ive been browsing threw the intrenet and have read alike 10 to 15 accounts of a hognose biting and causing serious inflamation. most apparently were due to a feeding response, some we in defence, theres one guy that said his hognose trikes with an open mouth and i belive him cause mine hase done the same in his enclosure, but there is another case of someone holding his hognose after just getting out of the shower and the hog bit him. the fact is even though they rarely bite it is impossible to predict 100% when they are going to stike if they ever do. and it can only take one time to cause some damage. People say you have to let them chew on you well there is one case where the hog let go immediatly and otheres that just lasted 5-10 sec and their whol arms swole.
Now what i'm worried about is long term damage. there is one case where a guy got bit and his lymphnodes swoll up along with his arm and the hos was only on fow no more than 10 sec. Lymphnodes are a part of the immun system. now ten yrs later the guy has pemenent immune system mal function. there is no hard evidence that it was the hog bite that did this, but there are two other cases. One girl got bit 17 yrs befor she posted and sayed her lymph nodes were swolen. Another guy got bit by an eastern hognose and after his bite healed his body still had trouble healing from small cuts and when he went to the doctor turned out he had a high white blood cell count just like the first guy i mentioned which in case anyone doesnt know if your white blood cells go into overdrive you can get sick real easy and the flu can get bad. Ive read long term effects of rattlesnake bites and they range from speech imparment, to artheritis, to heart problems. So a little permanent immune damage sounds likely
all of these post that ive read were years ago enough time to get your blood tested. has anybody suffered any long term effects from a hognose bite?( sorry for the Spelling)

Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
vandrad9
Let me refraze that question because I know there's gonna be people saying they didn't get a reaction cause theyre not allergic but I think Dr Bryan Fry has made it clear that they are venomous. Seriously this is important. Has anyone suffered long term effects from hognose envenomation?

Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
MrTPlush
Wow I have never heard all those stories before. I have heard of a couple people being idiots while feeding, but no defense bites. You said yours will strike with an open mouth? They are known for closed mouth strikes, but open mouth is pretty rare. Didn't you just make a thread about possibly getting one...you already found and got one?

If so the odds to get bitten are low. Hognoses are a very popular snake these days and you have only found 15 "stories". I don't think you realize how low those odds are to be bit and then have a serious reaction. If you feed it without being stupid you can rest easy knowing you will almost surely never get bitten. Seems like all this snake will bring you is worry at this point.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
vandrad9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTPlush View Post
Wow I have never heard all those stories before. I have heard of a couple people being idiots while feeding, but no defense bites. You said yours will strike with an open mouth? They are known for closed mouth strikes, but open mouth is pretty rare. Didn't you just make a thread about possibly getting one...you already found and got one?

If so the odds to get bitten are low. Hognoses are a very popular snake these days and you have only found 15 "stories". I don't think you realize how low those odds are to be bit and then have a serious reaction. If you feed it without being stupid you can rest easy knowing you will almost surely never get bitten. Seems like all this snake will bring you is worry at this point.
Hey mrtplush, you're right. I emailed dr Bryan fry (an expert on venom) yesterday about my concerns and he said " they are of only trivial human medical importance."

Old 02-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
WebSlave
Can you post links to that information you found concerning effects from hognose bites?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
vandrad9
Yes give me like 2 hours. Oh and mr. t plush yeah I got a good about a week ago. Been doing a ton of research to see what precautions to take to not get bitten. But eventually I think Nietzsche is gonna wanna see what I taste like and I'm cool with my whole arm swelling up, I just didn't want no prolonged bone, joint, immune stem degeneration and what Dr.Fry said about them them being only of trivial human medical importance is good enough to for me to keep mine. Cause seriously if a lot of you guys would have come at me with some horror stories I was ready to give him up

Old 02-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
vandrad9
Sorry I bent to say I got a hog* in the previous post

Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
vandrad9
I had gathered all the links and when I wanted to post them it said I wasnt logged in and I lost it all. I'm gonna need another day or too I'm too mad to do it again right now

Old 02-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
WebSlave
What I do in cases like that is to cut and paste all the links into a notepad file just in case something like that happens. Wouldn't be the first time that I lost a post on a message board site.....

Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
Big Borg Reptiles
I've been bit by hogs at least a half dozen times, some short bites and others that hung on for a bit. The most I got was some minor swelling and itching/irritation. They're completely harmless IMO.

Sure, if they hit you just right you can get some venom, but it's not considered dangerous. I'm sure there are cases that went horribly wrong, just like I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find cases where ball python bites left teeth in and got horribly infected. I'd be more worried about a dog bite than a hognose bite.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!