Trouble getting ETB to eat! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
pgwdragons
Trouble getting ETB to eat!

Hey guys, I got a Emerald Tree Boa about 4 weeks ago from a jobber that came to our shop. Its an adult, but I just cant get it to eat! So obviously everyone knows that any wild caught can be difficult eaters, but there has to be something to help it. Ive tried mice... sm. rats... heck... even a parakeet! lmfao.. sorry.. got desperate..
Anyhow, Ive soaked it to try to get it hydrated.. got the temps goin well and keeping the humidity good. But if any one has any thoughts, please share... Havent noticed any weight loss either... so yeah... any help is highly appreciated!! thanks!!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
Utta
try night time feeding. when is he most active? and do you know the last time he ate? if he ate even a week ago, he may not be ready for another meal yet. if hes most active at 1 in the morning, try feeding him then. what kinda cage is he in and how long has he been in it?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Yaz23
Try dipping your food item in chicken broth, I've heard from several sources that this works on stubborn animals sometimes. Give it a shot, it will most likely do the trick.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Utta
Chicken broth? maybe hot chicken broth. ive found that if i dip the rat/mouse in a low boiling water, to where its hot, theyll hit it harder then anything ive seen (at least with my retics)

Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Yaz23
Yes you warm the broth if you want lol. But try the chicken broth it will most likely do the trick. Just warm up the food item like you normally would but then dip it in chicken broth and try feeding your snake. Warming the broth would be better so you can warm it if youd like.

It works on stubborn balls and boas so an arboreal species should take it even better.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
pgwdragons
Hes been in a 4ft by 3 ft cage standing tall... for the entire time Ive had him.. which is about 4 weeks... and he hasnt eaten since then... So I dont know when he last ate... Ive tried night time feeding.. and even leaving live feeder items in the cage over night.. or two nights continuously. Generally most active from 11 - 2 am. I give both things a shot though.. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
hhmoore
What are the temps and humidity (nothing personal, but everybody says their setup is right)

Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
pgwdragons
None taken at all...
The temps in the day time are appx 80-83 and night time is about 70... humidity is about 75-80 percent

Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Yaz23
Wow, I was sure that the chicken broth would work. Hmmm.... maybe its just very stressed out. Ive never kept ETB's so as far as good temps and hum. I couldnt suggest my personal experience, sorry.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Andrews Arboreals
72 is the recommended low point. try heating it up as much as you possibly can as one person stated, ive got a juvie girl that has to have her food HOT, and i mean hot ( unless its a rat pup, shell eat those live fairly easy ) it also took her a month or a tad more to eat after i got her. they can be pretty fickle eaters. of course i also have one that ate the night i got her, heck, shed eat every night if i let her lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!