Jake Britton (Sellers Beware) long - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
Greg Riso
Angry Jake Britton (Sellers Beware) long

I've never posted anything about a buyer before so this is a first. The above mentioned joker with an e-mail addy of jbritton420420@yahoo.com jerked me around for almost two months promising to send payment for a subadult DH Snow boa I had posted. While it's not unusual for people to say they want something this guy promised to send payment at least four times. Since I wan't in a rush to sell the animal I wasn't worried about it to much.
The clincher came when he finally paypaled me $800 as a deposit for said animal. The money was in my account and the next day I requested $775 of it be transferred into my checking account. After this was already in process I got a letter from Jake saying he used his mother's credit card and, silly her, she thought it acted as a credit card when in reality it was a debit card. He asked me if I would issue him a full refund immediately so more checks wouldn't bounce which I promptly did. He said he'd remake payment with the proper card and needless to say it never happened. Up until this point the only hardship I endured was being continually lied to about when payment would come.
The clincher came when I was penalized for refunding Jake the money. When I reversed the transaction I was not aware that Paypal's policy is to go right to your bank account to suck out the money. I thought they would simply reverse the $775 transfer I'd requested that still had a few days to go through and use that money for the refund since it had come from Jake. In reality they just went to the bank account and took the funds directly out of my checking account. The result was I had three checks bounce that cost me a total of $78 in overdraft fees and a lot of embaressment. I notified Jake about what had happened as a result of me being a nice guy having refunded his money so quickly and he never even bothered to reply.
Since he told me it was his "mother" that made the mistake using the wrong credit card I felt I should write her half knowing by this time that the whole story was a farse. The following is what I wrote and the reply I received from Jake on top:

Subj: Re: Refund On Paypal Purchase
Date: 10/18/2003 1:44:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: BoidMorphs@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Well talk to Rich first because he would laugh at that i just purchased a PC2.5F HYpo from him so im sorry about you being upset about all of this people make mistakes and [bleep] happens. Just be happy and don't get your panteys in a bunch!!! THE OLD SAYING GOES the one with their head up their ass is bound to have the [bleep]ty out look have a happy day and enjoy herping later

BoidMorphs@aol.com wrote:
Dear Kay or is it Jake?,

For quite some time your son Jake showed an interest in an animal I had posted at Kingsnake.com. I held the snake in question aside for over one month awaiting payment which never came through even though I was repeatedly promised this. Finally, he made a deposit of $800 towards the DH Snow female boa via Paypal. Shortly afterwards I was then written a letter informing me that his mother had mistakenly allow him to use her debit card thinking it was like using a credit card at Paypal which caused checks to bounce. As a result Jake requested I refund the deposit the $800 ASAP.
By this time I had already requested transfer of $775 from my Paypal account to my checking account. In the interest of helping you from bouncing more checks I proceeded to immediately refund the money back to you as requested by Jake.
The problem here is since the money I was in the process of transferring from Paypal to my bank had not cleared, when I refunded you your money the funds were taken directly out of MY CHECKING ACCOUNT. There were insufficient funds in my account but since I have outstanding credit my bank honored the transfer of funds back to Paypal and hence from Paypal back to you. The NEXT day the money I had originally requested be transferred cleared from Paypal.
The problem is that three checks I had written were charged overdraft fees of $26 each. Needless to say I am not very pleased by having a total of $78 taken from my bank account as a result of your son's sending me funds and my doing the right thing in sending a refund back promptly.
Jake assured me he would still follow through with the purchase which did not happen. I am now out $78 which I would like immediate compensation for. Quite frankly I think this whole story is bogus and there is no mother and it is you Jake that has cost me this embarrassment and loss of money. I had every right to keep at least part or even all of the $800 but I did the right thing and issued a full refund immediately.
I would like the same courtesy in return by you sending me $80 via paypal to cover my loss which would include the 3% fee deduction.
If I do not here back from someone immediately on this issue I will notify Paypal and post this whole incident at various reptile related Internet boards to warn everyone to avoid dealing with Jake Britton.
I would prefer not to do so but feel it is only appropriate to warn other sellers from dealing with him. Please see that my money is refunded as promptly as the $800 I refunded you. Thank you.

Greg Riso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's obvious that Jake lied about the reason he needed a refund and as a result I was stuck for $78 for doing him right. If he had simply requested a refund and told me he decided he didn't want to purchase the animal after all I would have refunded the money after it cleared into my bank account. He had the chance to reimburse me but his attitude is "people make mistakes and [bleep] happens." If you want to be jerked around for months and be lied to continuously then by all means feel free to deal with Jake Britton. At least Rich got lucky with the corn. It's a shame there are scum like this out there so I thought all sellers should beware of this fool.

Old 10-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
KNOBTAIL
GREG, I guess hindsight is 20/20

and I am sure in the future if someone wants to use a different account card, have them use the card before you send back the monies that you were originally holding. That would have protected your investment. It is unfortunate that with all your good intentions you lost money out of this deal, and you did not even consummate the sale. JERRY TRESSER

Old 10-19-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
Suncoast Herpetological
I emailed Mr. Britton a link to this thread last evening and did get an Email response from him this morning so he is definitely aware of it's existance now. I do not know if he will post to explain his position or not.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Greg Riso
He Should Be Aware

I e-mailed him the following letter this morning just to make sure:

Subj: Re: Refund On Paypal Purchase
Date: 10/19/2003 11:09:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: jbritton420420@yahoo.com

No need to talk to Rich. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=27645
You're name is just where it belongs for others to see your attitude and joy when you screw people. If you'd have been honest that this was all about buyers remorse and not lied I would have simply returned your money and I wouldn't be out $78 for no reason. I wish there was a button I could push to eliminate a**holes like you. The world would be a much better place for the honest people that know right from wrong. But then again I don't expect scum like you to know the difference.

Greg

Old 10-20-2003, 09:01 PM   #5
JungleHabitats
bad deal ..

That really sucks but ..

A few things come to mind off the bat [list=1][*]first i would have kept the snake posted ( if after a week no funds had arrived)[*]Repeat promises to buy[*]In the future write into your TOS a % will be kept on defaulted payments ( the price of defaulting on a deal unless the default is your fault )[*]In the future i would alert the buyer that if for any reason they request funds back they will have NO CHOICE but to await the transfer to clear ( to avoid this )[*]As well hold funds in the PayPal accnt until the deal is made final one way or the other[/list=1]

It really sucks that you went above and beyond to assure this person that the snake was theres. You then went above and beyond a second time in being so prompt to refund there cash.
Then you get burnt for going above and beyond .

I would really think there was no mother but this was just the best lie he could think of to try get his money back for something else he saw he wanted after suffering buyers remorse.
It is hard to fathom how people could be so cruel and insensitive to others good intentions and have the cahoonahs to reply in the fashion that he did to you when alerted of the situation at hand .
a definate person to stay clear from in the future in my book

Old 10-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
Suncoast Herpetological
As I stated earlier, I alerted Jake to this thread via Email. Below is his response and then my response. Judging by this my feeling is that Greg is unfortunately SOL. I am not getting a "stand up guy who wants to make it right" feel from the tone of his Email. It sounds more like a guy who wants to blame his own problems on everyone else.

John Schmitt <mhs2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

As a courtesy I am providing you a link to this thread which has been started on you

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=27645

John Schmitt

Suncoast Herpetological
http://www.suncoastherps.com/

----- Original Message -----
To: John Schmitt
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 3:29 AM
Subject: Re: BOI Thread

why is he doing this to me i have purchased many snakes from different breeders Pro Exotics(Chad Brown) RIch(salmon boa) LA snakes (Griff) shane kinnely craig tanner ect.............What he is doing is very rude and discomforting to me and my mom.....I don't mean to jerk no one around.....There were ressons for the time i couldn't come through with the money and delays my girlfreind wrecked my car i had to pay for it .....I computer crashed once on me...but any ways i told him i was sorry about all of this and explaned several times about the things that went wrong.........I am NOT a jerk lier ect.....
I wish there is some way he could be reported about posting my full name and telling all these fantastic herp hobbyiest that im such a horrible person > HOW DARE YOU greg!!!
*F>*R>B*

Jake

Although this situation has nothing to do with me, I'll answer your question. Greg has been in the business for many years and is a very well respected breeder. He is not prone to posting derogatorily about anyone. If you had simply flaked on the deal I am sure he would have simply written it off as the cost of doing business. However, in this instance, not only did you flake on the deal, you ended up costing him money out of pocket. He did not need to refund that $800. He did that as a courtesy to you. It was most assuredly not his fault that you used the wrong credit card. If you had then Paypalled the money from another card, there would have been no problem

I am sure the other thing that has angered him is the Email you sent that he posted in the thread. The tone of it was basically "[bleep] happens, get over it" Not a great attitude to take with someone who just went out of his way to keep your Mom from bouncing checks.

If it were me Jake, I would PayPal Greg $80, apologize for the inconvenience, and let this issue drop.. Knowing Greg's reputation, I am sure he will post the fact that the situation has been resolved on the thread and the issue will then be closed with a minimum of damage.

That is just my opinion. As I said, I have no personal stake in this at all

John Schmitt

Suncoast Herpetological
http://www.suncoastherps.com/

Old 10-22-2003, 10:37 PM   #7
Suncoast Herpetological
Any further contact from this guy Greg? I'd be surprised if there was but miracles do sometimes happen.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:50 PM   #8
Greg Riso
NADA

No word from him whatsoever. I really didn't expect anything decent to come from him after having been lied to continuosly for two months. Like I said, you have to know right from wrong. At least there's record of it here for those sellers wise enough to check. If it had been here for me to check out I wouldn't be writing this right now. Thanks for your interest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!