Animal control officer catches 10-foot boa in Vero Beach - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Animal control officer catches 10-foot boa in Vero Beach

VERO BEACH — The cooler weather apparently made it easier to capture a 10-foot boa constrictor Wednesday.

Vero Beach Police Department Animal Control Officer Bruce Dangerfield said he got a call about 3:30 p.m. about the large snake found at the Pointe West development, located on the south side of State Road 60 west of 66th Avenue.

He said the boa constrictor was about as thick as a small man's thigh and probably weighed 60 to 70 pounds.

According to Dangerfield, the cooler weather probably made the snake docile enough for some people at the development to corral it until he arrived.

"If it had been a warm day, that snake would have been biting and striking," he said.

The snake was trying to go down a ditch and one man grabbed it by tail before it could get away, said Dangerfield.

Dangerfield will keep the exotic snake with other native snakes he has penned up at his residence, while he attempts to find it a home. He uses the native snakes in his hunter education programs.

According to Dangerfield, large exotic snakes roaming free in the region are a growing problem.

People purchase the snakes as a pet and may find it increasingly expensive to keep them as their diet goes from mice to rats to rabbits, he said. A large boa constriction such as the one found Wednesday could kill a dog or even a person, said Dangerfield, although the snakes usually try to avoid humans.

"There have been several people in the United States who have died from constricting snakes," said Dangerfield.

In a report he prepared several months ago, Dangerfield estimated he had been involved in the capture of probably 10 boa constrictors, 17 to 18 big pythons and about 25 smaller ball pythons.

In 2004, Dangerfield captured a 16-foot Burmese python that was found in the 5700 block of Eighth Street. Numerous people from around the country asked to adopt the python. Dangerfield said officials eventually decided to give the snake to Reptile World in St. Cloud.

Link to Article

Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
dzoo
Quote:

A large boa constriction such as the one found Wednesday could kill a dog or even a person,
A boa that can kill a dog? I guess it would depend on the size of the dog (a chihuahua?) but LOL ..... and as far as killing a person? well there are a lot of animals that can kill a person, dogs, bees, spiders, et al ... stupid media hype

Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
barbie69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzoo
A boa that can kill a dog? I guess it would depend on the size of the dog (a chihuahua?) but LOL ..... and as far as killing a person? well there are a lot of animals that can kill a person, dogs, bees, spiders, et al ... stupid media hype
I have to put my chihuahua in his cage while I clean my JCP's cages so that is what I was thinking too. He would be a nice treat for them since they eat bunnies right now.
Nice rescue story though.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Kaa needs a wife
I actually think that Mr. Dangerfield should never be allowed near snakes after making the comment to the media "if it had been a warm day it would've been biting and striking". I don't think that is necessarily true. Had the boa been a long term captive it may very well be used to being handled and not been much trouble to corral in the first place. Although you do not know that from this article.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!