aquarium decor for reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
mars
aquarium decor for reptiles

I am asking all of you if or can I use aquarium decor inside a reptile tank for a bearded dragon. I have gotten mixed reviews from everyone :/ They talk about the fixtures melting possibley under the basking spot and toxins killing the lizard.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Darwin
I guess it would depend on the type. If it's made of mainly plastics, then I would maybe just put it at the cool end of the tank. If it's made of heavy rocks or wood that a beardie wouldn't be able to knock over, then I could see you using it on the hot end for basking or climbing.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
JeffreH
Hey Mariano,

Any chance you can find a link to specific pieces of aquarium decor your interested in using?

Plastic melting points are generally quite high, and those made of resin material in general aren't going to be experiencing temperature extremes under a basking light that would cause them to melt as well; assuming the point of the piece closest to the light is also the hottest/basking point. I've not personally heard of any deaths by intoxication by these items (not saying it isn't possible) but if you would really like to be safe - perhaps consider pieces specifcally made for reptiles. Or, you can use wood, rocks, pavers, bricks, etc for cage decor... just disinfect them properly and safely before adding them to the enclosure = )

Quite a few suppliers sell nice looking molded pieces and driftwood fashioned in different sizes and shapes.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
mars
Thanks you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!