Just how liable are we as sellers? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-10-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
E2MacPets
Just how liable are we as sellers?

One of my friends brought this up today....

Just how liable are we? As private sellers and not incorporated businesses he thinks there will be problems...

He also asked about insurance if we were sued for someone getting sick (salmonella).

To me these seem like trivial details, but in this day and age trivial lawsuits are commonplace.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:20 PM   #2
Bryan Self
I hate to say this but we are very liable. Most homeowners insurances will not cover things that happen by animals. Not to mention that there is no personal accountabllity. Look at the cases against McD. First with the hot coffee, this person removed the lid then got burned, they won. Now with the people that are over weight, I sure hope they lose but I have my doubts. Overall it is just a very trubling. A business that is incorporated it's owners are protected. We as private parties are risking everything. This very subject is one of the best reasons to run your business/hobby above board from day one. Yes there are taxes that must be paid in order to do this, but one frivolous law suit and you have saved all your possessions.

Old 12-10-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
midnightline
Actually, I believe the hot-coffee case was overturned in a higher court.

-Kat Hall

Old 12-10-2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Arboreals of the Rainforest
Thumbs down

Go to the link for an example of stupid law suites.

Enter Polanco, J. Look for case number 00CV19386. Read the documents provided. You will see where JoePee sued Paul Newstead for "receiving a sick and infirmed animal" plus court costs and vet bills. (wonder how it really got sick)

JoePee won by a DEFAULT judgement for $800. This only means that JoePEE won becasue Paul never showed up to fight him in court. Some victory. It wasn't from Joepees super legal prowess by any means. To make it even better he furhter went on to garnish it from Pauls wages. Real class act JoePee.

Read some of the wonderful suites JoePee has filed at the link below.

http://www.courtclerk.org/cociw070.htm

Sadly these types of people are everywhere.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:23 PM   #5
E2MacPets
So what should/can we do to protect ourselves?

Old 12-24-2002, 12:39 AM   #6
gecko8695
ya i got a dumb case, a night robber is on a ladies roof goin to break in, falls off the roof, gets paralized and sues, and wins 8000$ from the lady, i think that is some stupid sh*t there, i dont see how america lets people get away with this type of stuff, i think its also very dumb how overweight people are trying to sue McD for fat foods, well the people know its bad for them or what cant they read the calories, maybe McD should counter sue for them have a slow matabolism............lol just in my words

Old 12-24-2002, 01:04 AM   #7
HerpVenue
Welcome to America

A robber breaks in the glass.....cuts himself....sues and wins.

Another one gets stuck in the garage...had to eat dog foor for a couple days...sues and wins... (the garage door was stuck)

p.s to the robbers coming to my house.
please do so....its been a year since I shot at anything.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
mycurlylocks
Question Dumb question

I am looking at this from the buyer side. I know that people will sue and do sue for anything from a hangnail to sugar that lumped in the package. Any possibilites of health inspection certificates from vets provided with shipments? Release sheets provided with the animals stating that you are not responsible.
How about a disclaimer that the person agrees to by purchasing the animal from you?
Unfortunately the main protection is the honesty of the person you are dealing with. Sad life is so messed up sometimes.

Candy

Old 01-05-2003, 08:18 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Disclaimer

A few days ago I bought a Litoria caerulea (yes, a plain dumpy tree frog!) from a local Petco and I had to sign a disclaimer before even going through the cash register.

Regards.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #10
KNOBTAIL
WANT TO LOOSE ALL YOUR MONEY

and possibly everything else you own. Continue selling without being protected. The purpose of a corp. is to limit liability. Without it you are operating as an open wound. Their are some people out their who will not hesitate to file suit. These scavengars know how to take advantage of a system that favours the injured party.

I saw this happen about 35 years ago when Salmonella raired its ugly head against individuals who were selling baby turtles. These individuals were not corp. but hard working individuals who were just making a living. They were sued as well as the breeders who incidently were protected by their corp. The worst case for a corp. would be to walk away from the corp. or file for bankruptcy. For the individual who has no protection cannot walk away, but can go bankrupt.

For the couple of hundred bucks, you can sleep a little easier by being ahead of the game and providing yourself and your family with a little added security by incorporating. Respectfully, JERRY TRESSER

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!