Bearded Dragon Eye Problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
WineGirl
Bearded Dragon Eye Problem

I have an adult male bearded dragon that seems to have an eye problem. His left eye keeps getting sealed closed due to some sort of eye secretion which is clear. I rinse the eye daily with water and he's able to open it but the next day the same thing happens. Is anyone familiar with eye problems in bearded dragons? Are there any type of eye drops I can give him or do I need to see a vet? He is still eating really good and he does have another bearded in the cage with him... Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
angie.h
Hi Jamie...I'm wondering if maybe he was scratched by the other lizard ? What substrate are they kept on and what type of UVB light do you use ? Coil UVB can cause eye problems because of the strength. You should use artificial tears from the drug store...water will dry it out just like it does our eyes. If it doesn't get better soon, I would take it to a herp vet. Hope he improves soon !

Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
WineGirl
Hi Angie, Thank you for the great advice. I picked up some artificial tears last night and gave him a bath. His eye looks better today and I gave him more drops this morning. I use a zoo med basking light and they get some natural sunlight too. The substrate is the repti-sand and several large rocks and logs for them to climb or hide on... This guy isn't the beautiful fire tiger I got from you....that guy is doing great and he is so beautiful. I'll have to send you some pics of him. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
angie.h
Oh good, glad he's doing better. If it got worse, it probably would have needed a trip to your vet. Maybe he had some sand in his eye or a scratch from the cage mate. It's good that you get them out in the sun for uvb...I meet people at the reptile shows and they tell me they use only a basking bulb...the box tells them it provides uva so they think that it's as good as uvb, but it's not. There's a lot of confusion about the bulbs, resulting in calcium deficiency and mbd in lizards. I'm happy to hear that my firetiger [ your firetiger ] is doing well, I'd love to see a pic of him.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Rockinar Dragonz
Hi Jaymi,

You can also try some Terramycin. We've used this along with Bausch & Lomb eye wash (not saline) and it works well. Generally will clear it up in a few days. Bug-de-Lite carries the Terramycin.

Melanie

Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
WineGirl
Hi Melanie,
Thank you so much for the info. It's greatly appreciated. I just placed an order for the Terramycin. The little male I got from you and the female are doing great!
Jaymi

Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
angie.h
Mel + Anthony always have top-notch animals and expert care.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
WineGirl
Melanie and Anthony are GREAT! And so are you, Angie! Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!