DOC with antiparasitic agents in CRIBO's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
indigoman
DOC with antiparasitic agents in CRIBO's

What is the drug of choice to use in the deworming of a pair of newly aquired wild caught yellow tail cribos I recently took in? I have never had a need or desire to deworm my easterns or texas indigos with them being captive bred and fed on frozen rodents, chicks, & fish. There is alot of drugs out there that say no with indigos and even when it doesn't disapprove it says much smaller doses in Indigos. I purchased Mader's 2006 copy of reptile medicine and surgery. I just wanted to check on a consensus for what has has been used and the out comes. I would hate to hurt them.

I also wanted to inquire as to the best way to start these feeding. I have had them for about a month now and they will not show any interests in rodents dead or alive, chicks, fish or other live snakes?
I have them in there own 6 foot cages with cypress mulch, water container, lighting, and they have recently shed with soaking. They are as mean as all get out and have close to a 5 ft striking range. They are both 7 ft plus and weigh 3.6 lbs on male and 3.2 on the female. The male will actually chase you across the room.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jeff J

Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
epidemic
I don't subscibe to the "shot-gun" method of administering worming agents, antibiotics or any other form of medical treatment, so my advice is for you to take the snakes to a veterinarian well versed in the care of herpetofauna, as this will be the only way to know exactly what you are dealing with and the best method for treating such. Unfortunately, most WC Drymarchon harbor a parasite load worthy of covering at least one semester of parasitology, without covering the same topic twice, and it can take a year or two to get such animals in good order and back up to weight.
While Ivermectin is normally the worming agent of choice, one must be especially careful when administering it to Drymarchon, as they are quite sensitive to the drug and even a minute overdose can be detrimental to the snake. However, when administered correctly, to a well hydrated specimen, it is generally safe and effective.
It is also unfortunate, many of the WC D. corais arrive in very poor condition and do not make it, even in the hands of very experienced keepers...

Good luck,

Jeff

Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
epidemic
Should have mentioned, at 7' and and 1.5Kg, they sound well under weight. Your current focus should be hydration and feeding later. WC D. corais can normally be enticed to feed by offering chicks and quail, but it can take a while before they come around and feed, which can be a blessing in disguise with newly acquired specimens, as feeding a dehydrated specimen can cause accute renal failure...

Again, best of luck to you,

Jeff

Old 01-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
indigoman
Well the yellow tails have been successfully dewormed, (Panacur appears to be the safest way to go) for the first time and doing well. The female is feeding on chicks. The male is still holding out and I am wondering if he is looking for the female. He is very active and seems to have that look in his eye, that my eastern and texas get in December.
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate the input.
Jeff J.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
epidemic
Jeff,

I am curious as to how you know they have "successfully" de-wormed?
Did you have fecal examinations performed both prior to and after worming the snakes? If so, would you be willing to share what parasitic worms were found?

Thanks for the update,

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!