Asian vine snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
BlueCrowned
Asian vine snakes

Anyone else ever keep asian vine snakes? I've had mine almost a month and he's doing well so far. I hear a lot of people saying they are really delicate but I get the feeling that it's less they're delicate and more that people don't bother to keep the parameters right or give them good naturalistic enclosures. They aren't a snake you can just chuck in a box with some aspen and a branch and call it good. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for them or just wants to show off some photos.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:03 AM   #2
BlueCrowned
Never got any replies here which is OK. just wanted to update that he's still doing wonderfully and seems happy he got beaten up by a gecko yesterday though and his nose got bent so he looks a little goofy now, but I'm sure he'll heal up fine. I wish this species took F/T.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
marker1
Very cool. have been interested in Oxybelis fulgidus the New World version of what you have. What are you housing yours in?

Old 09-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
BlueCrowned
Currently a small/tall exoterra which is 18 x 18 x 24 in I believe. I hand mist 2x per day and he's had two perfect sheds with me. I'm going to upgrade him to a larger enclosure at some point of course.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
marker1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Currently a small/tall exoterra which is 18 x 18 x 24 in I believe. I hand mist 2x per day and he's had two perfect sheds with me. I'm going to upgrade him to a larger enclosure at some point of course.
That's great! How Big is he? I would thought a much larger enclosure would have been needed for this species to thrive. Probably better to start small and move up though. Are you still feeding live geckos? I hear if you freeze them it kills "MOST" bacteria/parasites and then feed them off tongs. With my new discovery of reptilinks I have thought of giving this species a try the ones available to me are A. Prasina though not Nasuta

Old 12-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
BlueCrowned
Quote:
Originally Posted by marker1 View Post
That's great! How Big is he? I would thought a much larger enclosure would have been needed for this species to thrive. Probably better to start small and move up though. Are you still feeding live geckos? I hear if you freeze them it kills "MOST" bacteria/parasites and then feed them off tongs. With my new discovery of reptilinks I have thought of giving this species a try the ones available to me are A. Prasina though not Nasuta
He's not very big right now but I'll absolutely be upgrading him when I'm able to do so. He seems pretty content for now though.

I feed live anoles. This species absolutely will not take f/t, let alone reptilinks. You will not have success trying these methods, I can almost guarantee it. I've spoken to people far more experienced than I am who have even managed to breed these snakes, who have never been able to get them to take f/t despite many attempts. I tried too. It doesn't work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!