Patience is a virtue... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #31
AbsoluteApril
I couldn't update last night, a virus hit the PC and I wasn't able to get online but at work now so here we go:

She kept struggling with the slug and couldn't seem to get it out. Just after 1am I tried to see if she'd let me help but she wasn't having any of that, so I decided to let nature take it course and come what may. Wake up this morning at 5:30am and find that she has passed some more slugs and is still in labor, looks like about 1/3 still to come out. She has shredded newspaper for nesting so I can't see everything but there's at least 5 or 6 slugs, so I resigned myself that this is going to be a slug fest for the most part. I say most part because there is one super active little baby crawling all over the place. Yay! I haven't gotten a good look at it yet since mom is super protective and aggitated. I'm thrilled there's at least one viable baby and mom is still working on getting the rest out. Hopefully she'll be done when I get home so I can finally get some pics.

Oh, and this litter was born 137 days POS and is going to be my smallest litter to date, so two new records! lol

Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
crissabella
April, i'm so sorry about the slugs But maybe she'll surprise you and maybe give you a few more super active babies! Can't wait to see pics of the ones you do get

Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #33
kmrkvicka
it also may be time to chat with a vet... I've never had a mama boa take so long to have her babies... that said, I'm certainly no expert, and this may not be that abnormal?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #34
Utta
Gratz april! *hugs*

Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #35
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissabella View Post
But maybe she'll surprise you and maybe give you a few more super active babies!
I sure hope so Christine! I'd like it if she had 2 and they were a pair, because that's what I planned to hold back. I can dream, can't I?

I am totally happy with 1 baby though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrkvicka View Post
it also may be time to chat with a vet... I've never had a mama boa take so long to have her babies... that said, I'm certainly no expert, and this may not be that abnormal?
I'm really not sure, it seems to be really long but I think I remember Jeff Ronne in the boa breeding video saying labor can be as little as 30 min to over 12 hrs, but I could be wrong, it's been a while since I watched those boa breeding vids of his. I do know slugs take longer and can be harder to pass due to the low amount of fluid. If she doesn't pass the rest, I'll take her in for a visit, this vet must love me, I've just spent over $500 with him recently treating a sick boa I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Gratz april! *hugs*
Thanks bunches!!!!

Only about an hour left here then I can go home! I can't wait, these minutes are crawling by...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #36
crotalusadamanteus
Hopefully you'll go home and she'll be finished, and ready for a meal. I've notice on the two slug outs i had, that it seemed to take a bit longer. Hopefully that's all it is.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #37
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I sure hope so Christine! I'd like it if she had 2 and they were a pair, because that's what I planned to hold back. I can dream, can't I?

I am totally happy with 1 baby though.

I'm really not sure, it seems to be really long but I think I remember Jeff Ronne in the boa breeding video saying labor can be as little as 30 min to over 12 hrs, but I could be wrong, it's been a while since I watched those boa breeding vids of his. I do know slugs take longer and can be harder to pass due to the low amount of fluid. If she doesn't pass the rest, I'll take her in for a visit, this vet must love me, I've just spent over $500 with him recently treating a sick boa I have.

Thanks bunches!!!!

Only about an hour left here then I can go home! I can't wait, these minutes are crawling by...
Np April! *runs in slowmo* *mimicks the sound of a heartbeat* noooeee!!!!!! I must getta da BOAZ!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #38
AbsoluteApril
So it appears nothing has changed since this morning. I sprayed her down again since that seemed to help before and snapped this pic then turned the lights back off

She's quite aware and protective, does not appear to be trying to get the rest out at this time. If anyone has had this experience or has advice, I'd appreciate it. I'll ask on another forum too. I wonder if a nice warm soak would help?

At least the one lone baby seems to be doing good, curled up near the heat next to mom (not visible in the pic, he/she is behind).

Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #39
crotalusadamanteus
I've read before about someone using a catheter to insert fluids, then manually working them out. Slugs that is. She does look a bit blocked in the rear there. Do you have a litter box you can put in with a little water in it? Soaking seems to help with turds at times. It's about almost the same isn't it?

Sorry it isn't a nice smooth ordeal for you. Hope it all turns out well.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #40
kmrkvicka
Sheva did have 3 premies a week before the rest of her litter 8 days later last year. Sydney this year had 21 slugs and 12 babies, and was still done in 40 minutes... Do you have a reputable herp vet that may be able to come to you? do you have a fetal doppler?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!