Breeding size of adult female boas - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #61
Metachrosis
Absolutely !!
My 4X4X4 boa will out live a 4X7X16 boa in any life time
"Truly" understanding boa's makes this simple math.

A great down fall to this hobby is people just do not understand.
They would rather go with the flow and follow what is "accepted"
There are very few actual "hobby minded"people,everyone you meet
is into "production",everything is now a profit/loss basis.

I dont keep boa's for profit,I keep snakes because I was raised in a State with 150+ native species.My mature age now affords what "Momma"
said couldnt stay I can afford my boa's,I have more space then I know what to do with.My 50'X18' shop sits empty.

I raise my boa's in a 18'X14' room thats maintained on ambient temp/humidity.
80*-88*F/45-55% allowing for natural fluctuations
BCI,BCA,BCL all share the same life of luxury in their AP/Neodosha cages.
I have no fish tanks,heat rocks or lamps

I do not cool animals for breeding,I do not ramp up feedings to meet breeding statutes of body mass and length.
I feed what is on hand,the majority of the time surplus will meet quota,
I do not double prey to meet a standard,If I have a need for a med. rat
and only have small rats,(1) small rat is fed.Better luck next time .

Exotics are wild by instinct and nature correct?
What mindset instills beliefs that said wild animals thrive under unrefined domesticated protocols ?
Thriving to meet "market",is not thriving by design

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHobbiest View Post
Let me see if I get this right....
You guys are saying that a lean 4 year old, 4 ft long, 4 lbs Boa, is a healthier Boa... Than a 4 year old, 7 ft long, 16lbs Boa?
So keeping Boas hungry, small and lean makes for healthier animals? Is this a biological requirement, or is it because wild animals are lean?
Luis

Old 05-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #62
mxracer4life
You know, the other night I got 2 of my females out to due a normal inspection/cleaning and something occurred to me. My 06 Jungle female, who has good size to her and is easily close to 6ft, has nowhere NEAR the strength that my little 07 DH sunglow has, and she is between 4 1/2 & 5ft. Don't take this the wrong way, my jungle is strong, but my little DH sunglow just threw me off how strong she was. She is a little monster. She is the reason I have finally purchased a snake hook. Doesn't mattery if it's feeding time, picture time or just cleaning day, she can get 3/4 of her body at me, everytime.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #63
Stryker414
Oh my! I'm glad I saw this posting. I just recently acquired an 08 hypo het moonglow. She is about 6 ft and weighs just over 12 lbs. The guy I got her from advised that I feed her a medium rat every 5 days and on the 4th feeding make it a large. This is supposed to add more muscle mass for breeding this fall. What are your opinions on this feeding regimine through the summer?

For the record I'm accustomed to feeding weekly; '10's on pups until ready for small, 09's on mediums and 08's on large.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #64
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker414 View Post
Oh my! I'm glad I saw this posting. I just recently acquired an 08 hypo het moonglow. She is about 6 ft and weighs just over 12 lbs. The guy I got her from advised that I feed her a medium rat every 5 days and on the 4th feeding make it a large. This is supposed to add more muscle mass for breeding this fall. What are your opinions on this feeding regimine through the summer? "Not recommended"

For the record I'm accustomed to feeding weekly; '10's on pups until ready for small, 09's on mediums and 08's on large.
I feed my females, no matter the size, once every 14-21 days. I have 1 female that eats once a month.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #65
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
She is the reason I have finally purchased a snake hook. Doesn't mattery if it's feeding time, picture time or just cleaning day, she can get 3/4 of her body at me, everytime.
I start my boas very early with a "tap on the head" from my snake-hook. I prefer teaching them while they're still small that, that means NO FOOD is coming. And when they sometimes forget, it serves to control them without feeling their teeth! lol

Quote:
Oh my! I'm glad I saw this posting. I just recently acquired an 08 hypo het moonglow. She is about 6 ft and weighs just over 12 lbs. The guy I got her from advised that I feed her a medium rat every 5 days and on the 4th feeding make it a large. This is supposed to add more muscle mass for breeding this fall. What are your opinions on this feeding regimine through the summer?

That's way too often. I used to over-feed, but I've noticed a huge difference in their activity level and lean muscle since I cut back what I offer. Always give them a large enough meal (without leaving such a lump that they can't coil, or move freely) and they'll be fine with a meal every 2-3 weeks.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #66
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I start my boas very early with a "tap on the head" from my snake-hook. I prefer teaching them while they're still small that, that means NO FOOD is coming. And when they sometimes forget, it serves to control them without feeling their teeth! lol .
I just rub on em a little, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
That's way too often. I used to over-feed, but I've noticed a huge difference in their activity level and lean muscle since I cut back what I offer. Always give them a large enough meal (without leaving such a lump that they can't coil, or move freely) and they'll be fine with a meal every 2-3 weeks.
Agreed!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #67
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:

All my Boas, even neonates, get fed every three weeks.

You can feed her as often as the seller suggested to you, and she'll gain mass alright. But she'll also most likely be dead in less then 10 yrs.

Thing to understand is, people who suggest such regimens are only after the babies, which ultimately means dollar signs. These animal have become brood mares basically, and don't last very long before dying. But I guess when you have an up and coming 2 yr old to take her place, who cares, right?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #68
Stryker414
Here's a couple pics of the 08 hypo het moonglow. the 1st one is from the breeder and the 2nd i took earlier this month. Guess I'll drop down to 1 large every 2 weeks for her. She should still breed this season.

Name:  th moonglow 5.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  261.5 KB

Name:  TH Moonglow 05-07-11 (5).jpg
Views: 51
Size:  133.9 KB

Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #69
crotalusadamanteus
You'll likely have better results and put alot less wear on her if you was to afford her another year to mature.

Just saying.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #70
Stryker414
And I know this is a thread about adult females, but what about adult males? I have an 07 male snow that appears to be too thin to breed by fall. I have 09's that are heavier than him.

Name:  Snow 4-28-11 (8).jpg
Views: 46
Size:  81.6 KB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!