Substrate Poll (More than 1OK) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Substrate use/ frequency of cleaning
Newspaper 58 43.94%
Cypress mulch 25 18.94%
Aspen shavings 51 38.64%
Commercial paper lining/roll 13 9.85%
Commercial paper lining/precut piece 4 3.03%
Other substrate, comment below 7 5.30%
Spot clean daily 16 12.12%
Spot clean as needed 62 46.97%
Change entire substrate daily 0 0%
Change entire substrate every couple days 5 3.79%
Change entire substrate weekly 26 19.70%
Change entire substrate whenever needed 69 52.27%
Newspaper, remove layers as needed 7 5.30%
Disinfect/scrub as necessary 61 46.21%
What, I hafta clean? 3 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 AM   #31
Python Lara
I use a combo of diff substrates. In my (boa's) big snake's tanks I use newspaper. For my (boa) sub adults I use aspen litter about 2"-3" deep so they can burrow. For my Pythons...well my 11' Burm is on newspaper, my retic sub adult is on aspen litter, my Ball is on aspen with a moss hide, & my Blood Python is on a 1/2 and 1/2 set up of aspen and sphagnum moss. One side of her tank is a big moss pile with her hide, the other side is her aspen with the water bowl. She loves that moss and rarely ever goes to the aspen side except to get a drink. I change all my tanks substrate as needed and spot clean as needed. I always check my substrate right after I've cleaned tanks lol cause I'm guaranteed to find some poo. They love to wait til it's all nice and sparkly and do their doody

Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #32
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
If I just clicked on my answers, there would only be a couple of open boxes, lol.
Jeez, i thought you could only pick 2. It took me like 10 minutes to choose, because I do multiple things. Always use aspen or cypress, and I spot clean that as needed, and change out completely every couple weeks. I usually sanitize when I do a complete change of substrate. (why not, it's already empty) LOL

Ciao,
Rick

Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #33
MGReptiles
I use disposable cage liners Just lazy I reckon..lol

Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #34
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGReptiles
I use disposable cage liners Just lazy I reckon..lol
Do you sell them? or where can you get them? LOL
I was thinking that for breeding, they would work pretty good.

Rick

Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #35
MGReptiles
I used to sell the same material in 24" 200 foot rolls but there wanst much of a demand for it so I discontinued it. You can get them precut from http://www.kingsnake.com/cageliners/dclpricelist.htm Thats where I buy mine now for the tubs and still use the rolls for my biggens

Old 04-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #36
varnyard
I use newspaper for all of my pythons and boas. I clean them once a week. The news paper is a whole lot easer than substrates for me to use. If I only had a few snakes I would use them though. Also with the newspaper there is no chance of them ingesting the substrates.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #37
scalesnstuff
Substrate

We use both newspaper and aspen. Newspaper goes in the sweater boxes and aspen in the display cages. For the sweater boxes we change almost everyday, if the paper does not look fresh then it comes out and we clean the sweater box with a bleach alternative. At the end of the week we do a deep clean using a product called ParvoLan, it kills all kinds of viruses and bacteria (even AIDS). For the display cages we spot clean unless it was a "big one", the we change it out. We use ParvoLan and Zoo Med Terrarium Cleaner, for the displays along with a very fine sander that can scrub the glass without scratching it. Before we put the animal back in we spray the animal with Reptile Relief Mite Spray (as a precaution). If I have help we can do about 60 setups in an hour.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #38
INSANE CANES
Mostly newspaper here, but looking into using aspen for the smaller ones. Clean whenever need, at least once a week to remove all paper.
Usually montly or bi monthly on thorough cleaning, take outside and hose down and cook in the sun all day. Depends on the cage and contents.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #39
Vinny D
HHMOORE, Why dont you just put some moss in the cage with your bloods? it will help out with the humidity IMO. Hope everything works out.

Vinny D

Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #40
Vinny D
I have used cypress mulch "treated of course" evcer since i can rember. I usually have a rubbermaid with news papper for feeding. I think a natural substrate is the best way to go. ESP. for rain forest species. I keep locality Suriame & Guyana B.C.C.'s for years now, doing this. Everyone has their own opinion. newspaper is fine. I just like a natural substrate, and i know the snakes do to. Think about it, a snake cant get any traction on paper, but on a natural substrate it can move freely. I have dicused this with many other BCC breeders, and they think a substrate is the way to go, but if you love your snake and take proper care of it and he/she's healthy, your doing a good job!!! LOL

Vinny D

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!