...And I still have all my fingers!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
PaulSage
Thumbs up ...And I still have all my fingers!!

Here's my most recent rack that I built--my first made from melamine. The previous ones I made out of solid wood and had to stain and varnish. Using the melamine is definitely a lot quicker. My brother was in town for the weekend and helped me put it together. We started at midnight on Saturday with a stack of boards and a roll of heat tape and finished up right around 5 am. (that was pretty much my free time for the weekend, lol) Anyway, it holds 21 of the Iris "boot boxes" which are really more the size of blanket boxes. My brother kept asking me, "Who the heck has boots this big?!"

It went a lot smoother than I thought, and despite being rather accident-prone I managed not incur any serious injuries. This is always a plus. All 21 of the tubs slide in and out effortlessly, but a piece of corrugated cardboard still won't fit between the top of the tubs and the bottom of the shelf.

Okay, I'll shut up. Here are the pics:

Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 AM   #2
HerpAddict
Paul, it looks fantastic. Melmine really can make the job a heck of a lot easier!

Have those spots been spoken for, or are you looking to fill them now?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
Paul, it looks really good. 10 more of those and you'll be all set. LOL

Old 12-05-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
PaulSage
lol... hopefully someone would have me committed before I made 10 more.

Jeremy, I took your advice and put casters on the bottom, too. GOOD IDEA, especially when 10 sheets of 24x48 melamine weigh as much as a small car.

Amanda, these are actually "upgraded" tubs so that individuals can have more space than just sweater boxes. Plus, I'm going to need all the room I can get for next year's anticipated offspring. I used to have a bias against melamine and wouldn't buy/use it for anything, but I was recently persuaded into giving it a try. I'm glad I did.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
PaulSage
oh, and don't you love my ugly green-painted basement floor?

The previous owners even painted the garage floor orange. ORANGE!!

darn 70's hippies...

Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Lucille
It looks great!! Is the heat tape in a routed groove?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
Nice, Paul. I'm getting ready to build another rack for me. And I agree with you. The casters are the best thing I added to mine.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
PaulSage
Lucille, instead of routing out a groove for the heat tape, I decided to run the tape about 1 1/2" up the sidewall and then pass the cords out through the pegboard back. This way, the tubs aren't sliding over my lovely soldering job.

Then I decided to cover the heat tape with clear contact paper to hold it in place. It stuck down really well w/o wrinkling and the tubs slide over it w/o a problem. I was worried that the little "feet" on the tubs might catch on metal tape, otherwise I would have used that like I usually do.

Karen, the casters really make it more convenient, but you have to get really good, heavy-duty ones. The ones with rubber wheels roll easier than the hard plastic wheels, and having brakes on them is nice when your basement floor is pitched to a floor drain. They're not cheap though, I think these were $17 each.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
dragonflyreptiles
very nice work Paul!

Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
YJHB
Wow! I love that....very nice set up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!