'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
IMAJACOBIAN
'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite

my first post, hopefully the link works

Rediculous hit to the hot community

http://news.yahoo.com/serpent-handli...opstories.html

stupid people say studip things
"Robin Vanover, Wolford's sister, told the Washington Post that 30 minutes into the outdoor service, Wolford passed around a poisonous timber rattlesnake, which eventually bit him. "

Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post

stupid people say studip things
"Robin Vanover, Wolford's sister, told the Washington Post that 30 minutes into the outdoor service, Wolford passed around a poisonous timber rattlesnake, which eventually bit him. "
Why are you saying she is stupid? She is the sister, we do not know whether she agreed with this practice. And even if she did, it is a matter of personal belief. (I would not do it ).
Or are you saying she is stupid because she used an incorrect word?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Shadera
I think it's sad, but I wouldn't necessarily make the jump to calling it stupid. Who am I to judge someone else for their religious beliefs? Is my own version so perfect, that I can huck those stones?

There are small groups in the Appalachians who cling to their old family traditions and beliefs. Just the way it is. It sucks that it had to be a snake bite, I won't deny that, but if these guys wanna stick a shotgun barrel in their mouths and dance around with their big toe on the trigger, there's nothing the rest of us can do about it. West Virginia is one of the last (if not *the* last?) where this practice is allowed.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
IMAJACOBIAN
Sorry,

Stupid for believing they are poisonous, when we all know they are actually venomous. They are not stupid for their religion, as I believe everybody has a right to their own religion or beliefs. I try not to hold thier practice itself against them, although I don't agree with handling hots in that manor at all.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Lucille
Jacob, non snake people often make that particular word error. That isn't stupid. It is a minor error.
No one has said anything about your spelling, it is a minor error.
The very last thing this community needs right now is to create friction with the non snake community over something like a word. In fact, one never truly wins anything by making fun of someone's inadvertent error in speaking or writing. If we want them to let us live in peace, let's us try to live in peace where possible.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
IMAJACOBIAN
Lucille,

I suppose your correct. A more fitting word would be ignorant. I feel hurt everytime something like this happen because we (as a group) are the most affected by laws that are put into play(Think Burms/lacey act, there my favorite). Sometimes the beginning of these laws are due to irresponsible keepers or someone who should never be messing with them. I, myself can't even keep any hots in my own state because of these laws. Luckily I live near the Ky/Oh border and have understanding relatives in Oh for climate controlled space(detached from their house of course).

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Lucille
BTW Jacob, welcome

Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
WingedSweetheart
I do not know for sure but I thought that snake handling was aginst the law. It may not be though. I do know it mosy defiantly was at one point as I watched a documentery on it. Anyway it is not the norm any more for Holiness churches. I live right next door to one and have gone there a few times to hear them sing and play music and they don't do the snake handling thing. I just hope people that read the story don't think people here are all some weird religious nut jobs.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
I do not know for sure but I thought that snake handling was aginst the law. It may not be though. I do know it mosy defiantly was at one point as I watched a documentery on it. Anyway it is not the norm any more for Holiness churches. I live right next door to one and have gone there a few times to hear them sing and play music and they don't do the snake handling thing. I just hope people that read the story don't think people here are all some weird religious nut jobs.
It is legal at least in the state of West Virginia.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
IMAJACOBIAN
I live is Ky and all but native venomous is illegal(Then, only up to 5 specimens each). That's why I house my venomous at a relatives in Oh(of course away from his main house). There are also laws agains the religous handling of venomous snakes in Ky, but I don't know if they have ever enforced them or should enforce them. I don't agree with it, but whatever religion anybody chooses they should have that right. He should have obtained immediate medical attention though, regardless wether it's legal or not. A life is always more important than the law, regardless wether they made a bad decision or not. They would have treated him before taking him off to jail if it was illegal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!