An interesting observation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-29-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
ChuUtena
An interesting observation

First I will have to admit this observation is about my male AFT but being as they are so similar maybe someone could find an explination.

My male fattie used to be housed in a 10 gallon tank in my room. He has always had indorr/outdoor carpeting and a humid hide with a perlite/vermiculite mix. He also has a "cool" side hide as well. In the tank he had an actual hot and cool side. I made sure that he had a warm spot of almost 90 degree during the day, blah blah all the stuff was correct. I noticed after a while he stopped eating. The crickets weren't going away overnight. His tail was dropping in size big time, and I was very sad I might lost my Bowser. So about a month ago, I bought a rack at the show. I moved him, and some other girls in other tanks into the racks (no not together silly! In different levels jeeze) to free up space. I quickly found that the rack didn't get quite as warm as it should. Staying in the 76-84 range. Here is the catch. Bowser is doing a hundred times better! His temps aren't perfect anymore, but he is a hog now! He eats like he used to, he's friendlier again, he actually gets in and out of his humid hide to hunt! Now I have to wonder, could it be he feels safer inside the darker rack tub? He is alone in the bottom tub. It doesn't get above 85 in there, and that is a good day, but I really don't want to mess with it because he is doing so well. Before I hadn't seen poo in over a month. Now, it's a bi-weekly event! And damn his poo is huge! Ha

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience? Being moved from the "perfect" environment to a not so perfect? I guess I just don't want to jinx it, but the boy is doing so well it amazes me. The downside, tubs hold in poo stink much better...ewwww I chose that face cause it's name was crap, and I'm talking about crap. Okay off to bed!

Old 04-30-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
Uffern
I'm not a gecko person, but if he is doing better, don't fix what isn't broken. Keep doing what you are doing, regardless if it's not spot on what the books say.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
riverjop
Lightbulb

I think that, yes! They do seem to do better in a closed slightly darker setup (at least for me). If you look at where they live (and I haven't been to Osama-land) but I used to catch banded geckos all the time in the deserts of Ca & Az and Im sure that they are very simular, they are almost always found under rocks and I've NEVER seen one out unless it was dusk or after dark!
It makes more sense, as terrariums and all glass setups allow to much light to come in, unless you cover three sides (at least) they are to exposed. Anyway just my observations, your results may vary, always read the instructions on the back of the box and look both ways before crossing the street. OH and of coarse NEVER, NEVER , ever except mealworms from strangers!

Old 04-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Blazin
Yes and more!

I have seen this also. I have 6 AFTs and I have had some that would take mealies for a while and then all of the sudden loose interest in them. Most people at first would tend to think that a rack setup would be less desirable than a more natural setup such as a terrarium. The opposite seems to be the case alot times. The rack setup although seemingly completely 180 degrees from what they are used to is actually probably closer to their natural environment. Like someone already mentioned they live in small little micro-habitats. I have seen leopard geckos and AFTs eat and do "ok"in natural setup, but then I have seen them THRIVE in the closer quarters of a rack setup. This is also very evident when it comes to hatchlings and juveniles. Just my 2 cents.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!