I am so easily distracted. Almost didn't see this EDB... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
WebSlave
I am so easily distracted. Almost didn't see this EDB...

I had my Nikon D850 out to take photos of some flowers, so I was walking around the house looking for photo opportunities. When I walked around back, I noticed a black racer that ducked into some plants alongside the enclosed back porch. So I walked over to the crepe myrtle in back of the house to take some photos of the lower hanging flower bunches. When I was done, I walked back to those plants the black racer had dived into and while looking for the racer, almost didn't see this guy sitting there.

Since he was so close to the house and both Connie and I have been out working on clearing the underbrush around the house lately, I figured we needed to relocate him so we wouldn't accidentally step on him. So while I kept an eye on him, Connie went and got a five gallon bucket and my old trusty Furmont snake hook. It took a little bit to pick him up, as he just did not want to stay on that hook, and I had to chase him around a bit, but eventually did get him into the bucket. I'm guessing he was around 2.5 ft. in length, give or take. Never even buzzed once or in any way acted irate at me being there. Never coiled up, just wanted to boogie on away from the crazy guy with that metal hook thingie. So we took him for a ride and let him go out in the boonies away from people.

Been a long time since we've seen any rattlesnakes around here, but I guess they have always been somewhere nearby. We don't mind them around here, but sure wouldn't want to get an accidental bite from one being too close to the house. This one was real close to the pool pump, and Connie goes back there often to turn the pump and cleaner on and off.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
bcr229
Congrats on the successful relocation.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
E.Shell
Great pics! I don't think I've ever seen one so relaxed.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #4
WebSlave
Yeah, that was one really laid back rattlesnake. I had to catch myself from just reaching down and picking it up by hand like I do with the gray rat snakes around here. Probably would have been a VERY bad idea.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
hotlips
Yes, that wouldn't have ended well...
Years back when I often relocated rattlesnakes in the desert where I lived att, one of the ones I picked up was buzzing under a dripping outdoor hose faucet, which the home-owner heard & mistakenly thought that the water had been left on... Happily they called me instead of trying to turn it off, it was a "Mojave green", not the biggest rattlesnakes around there but definitely had the most venom-punch.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
JimM
What a nice diamondback ���� ! You can never see enough of these ... nice find ����

Old 05-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
snowgyre
Beautiful snake! Two days ago one of my friends in the GA DNR posted a photo of a EDB he found at a nearby wildlife management area. I thought it looked familiar so I went back to my HerpMapper records. Sure enough, I photographed the snake as a 2-3 year old juvenile way back in June 2017! It made me so happy to learn the snake survived the property becoming public land, and then numerous road crossings and hunting seasons. Everyone is so trigger happy to kill these snakes down here, it makes me sad.

Also, the plant you have in your backyard is a native coral bean! It should have beautiful, showing red tube flowers soon if not already. It responds well to trimming, so if you need to trim it back you can with no problem.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
Lucille
Terrific photos, every detail is beautiful and sharp, and of course I hope you zoomed in and didn't have to get close up for the close up.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Also, the plant you have in your backyard is a native coral bean! It should have beautiful, showing red tube flowers soon if not already. It responds well to trimming, so if you need to trim it back you can with no problem.
We have quite a few of them planted all around the property. Connie collects the seeds and just spreads them around. The blooms are actually on the way out right now. Perhaps because of the hot and dry weather we have been having lately. Oddly enough, I don't see any seed pods developing on any of them this year.

Connie actually planted the seeds there for those plants in the rattlersnake photos.

I took the below pics on 04-23-2020.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!