Bad Guy Steve Markevich/ Serpent's Den - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
1Bob
Steve Markevich/ Serpent's Den

I haven't been on here in a while so don't know if this was discussed. Sorry if this is old news. I have seen Steve's name on here before and I think there were post directly from him. Front Page news today

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,6150019.story

He left venomous and nonvenemous animals alone for 3 months. They were left to die. I do hope he is okay. But if he is ...

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Have you done business with Steve?
If so, please outline the deal and why it was negative.

Your news link is hearsay and I don't believe belongs on the BOI.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
GottaLuvHerps
This is very interesting to me since Steve contacted me on ReptileGeeks on 9/25/08 about possibly vending at our show in Carlisle, PA. My username there is KordeksKritters, and the contact was via my comments (page 2 if you view all of the comments). I will contact him regarding this thread and see if he is willing to respond here.

Kelly Kordek

Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
GottaLuvHerps
I just sent a message to Steve on ReptileGeeks letting him know about this thread. I am not 100% sure that this is the same person, but his username on RG is Serpents_Den. Hopefully he will come and respond.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
I didn't mention it in my initial post, but I received an e-mail from Steve (and it is the same person on RG, Kelly) about an hour ago about the article...Which is why I thought to see if someone posted it on the BOI. I did actually already forward him the link to this thread after my initial response. If he does not respond here for whatever reason and he gives me permission, I will post what his e-mail said.

I think EVERYONE needs to take ANY article they read from the news media with a large grain of salt. The media reports things to attract readers regardless of missing or incomplete facts. They are not held accountable for reporting missing, incomplete or incorrect information. My local newspaper destroyed a man's businesses here in Hanover a few years ago by reporting a story with only half the facts...Even after he was proven innocent by a court of law, his reputation was DESTROYED and he had to close up shop...All because the newspapers report what will attract readers...

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
GottaLuvHerps
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
I think EVERYONE needs to take ANY article they read from the news media with a large grain of salt. The media reports things to attract readers regardless of missing or incomplete facts. They are not held accountable for reporting missing, incomplete or incorrect information. My local newspaper destroyed a man's businesses here in Hanover a few years ago by reporting a story with only half the facts...Even after he was proven innocent by a court of law, his reputation was DESTROYED and he had to close up shop...All because the newspapers report what will attract readers...
This is exactly why I wanted to let Steve know about this thread, and why I am keeping an open mind to wait to see what he has to say before passing any judgment on him or his business. The media does NOT like reptiles for the most part, and will twist things around for sensationalism if they can unfortunately. If I hear back from Steve and he does not wish to respond, I will ask his permission as well to post any response on this thread as well.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
1Bob
I was to his shop 2 years ago or so. I also talked to him about several possible sales on the phone. I have never had completed a sale with him. (I'm real happy about tht now). I know there may be community tension just because of public ignorance. If this needs to be moved to general then fine. But a news paper article on animal abuse not being appopriate for the BOI ...

Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bob View Post
But a news paper article on animal abuse not being appopriate for the BOI ...
My thoughts on it are that it's hearsay. You didn't have any negative business transaction with him so what gives you the right to label him a bad guy when there's no proof other then a news article that could very well be sensationalized to attract readers?

I guess my point is...
What proof do you have that everything in the article is true and that their is no missing information?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
1Bob
In addition, I have no intentions of ill will towards Steve. I hope many of the reported facts are false. The Morning Call is my local paper and it was front page news. And yes they often forget facts or embelish others with no appology when they are called out. I am sorry if I was inappropriate, but I thought, at the very least, it has merit for discussion.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
TattooLost
Curious. Serpents_Den on RG contacted me last night about having some 100%het pied/50% het albino snakes he'd consider selling. Wanted like $1500 for them. I'm really curious to hear some facts on this story, although if the courts are involved I'm inclined to believe something was bad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
chris foley, eric musser, steve markevich