Froglets found herping - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Froglets found herping

I was out the other day seeing if I could find any timber rattlers and happened upon a big puddle that was full of tadpoles.
While I was crouched down watching them I noticed what I first thought was a small cricket move at the edge of the puddle. After looking closer I realized it was a newly developed tree froglet, species unknown.
There was quite a few moving around the area which caused me to immediately watch closely where I was stepping.
I caught three of them and brought home to take pictures of, then released them back at the puddle the next evening.

My intention was to set up a decent photo op for them but due to their size and willingness to hop around, I found that difficult so I just took these pics to illustrate their diminutive size.
The experience also showed me that I really do need to get a macro lens.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Riyeko
Ive caught tadpoles and frogs like that before when I was younger.
My brother brought home a huge bucket filled with tadpoles on the bottom and we successfully raised all of them and let them into the wild (with the help of the city/school library of course).
It was one of the things that my brother and I bonded over and i have loved little frogs ever since.
These are adorable and I hope they get bigger!

Besides they look like those little stream frogs we find here in Missouri when im walking around doing a nature hike. Theyre quite common.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Bill B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
I was out the other day seeing if I could find any timber rattlers and happened upon a big puddle that was full of tadpoles.
While I was crouched down watching them I noticed what I first thought was a small cricket move at the edge of the puddle. After looking closer I realized it was a newly developed tree froglet, species unknown.
There was quite a few moving around the area which caused me to immediately watch closely where I was stepping.
I caught three of them and brought home to take pictures of, then released them back at the puddle the next evening.

My intention was to set up a decent photo op for them but due to their size and willingness to hop around, I found that difficult so I just took these pics to illustrate their diminutive size.
The experience also showed me that I really do need to get a macro lens.
Where do you live? Looks like a spring peeper to - Pseudacris crucifer - because of the body shape and the X on the back (hence the crucifer in P. crucifer).

Old 05-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I'm in western North Carolina.
I'm not a frog guy by any means and sadly enough I can identify many more exotic species of frogs than the ones we have here in their native habitat.
I've messed with the native frogs and toads here over the years, primarily in the spring when I would collect tadpoles from a puddle that wasn't going to last long enough for the frogs to develop. I'd set them up at home until they could survive out of water then release them where I collected them from. I've done this with several species, but I couldn't identify any of them really.
These struck me due to their extremely small size.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Bill B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
I'm in western North Carolina.
I'm not a frog guy by any means and sadly enough I can identify many more exotic species of frogs than the ones we have here in their native habitat.
I've messed with the native frogs and toads here over the years, primarily in the spring when I would collect tadpoles from a puddle that wasn't going to last long enough for the frogs to develop. I'd set them up at home until they could survive out of water then release them where I collected them from. I've done this with several species, but I couldn't identify any of them really.
These struck me due to their extremely small size.
Yeah, you have peepers in North Carolina. Peepers are very small. It's too early here in Michigan for them to be emerging yet. I've collected peeper tads several times this spring, only to have them die. Just a couple hours ago I collected some again, this time I used a larger, dark-colored container (they may have died because of stress from lack of cover/too much light in the nearly-clear containers I used before).

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Gordon c. Snelling
These are juvenile toads, Not sure what species though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!