Im so confused about Pac Man Frogs :( help? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
IndustrialBoaPunk
Im so confused about Pac Man Frogs :( help?

Okay so hey everyone, hope you're all doing well

well ive been working on trying to build and figure out HOW to build a big set up for a large african bullfrog, aka pixie or pyxie frog. half water.half land set up to be exact. well im going to have probly 4 - 6 snakes, boas'pythons and i kind of honestly want something else too so i decided on frogs, well, i of course love pixie/pyxie frogs, but i also love pac man frogs as much as both species eat ill be fine, what my concern is this, after getting my pyxie/[ixie stabalized later, i wanted several DIFFERENT pac's a red pac, albino, normal pac which im also confusing told is called a Ornate Pac man frog but if not id love one too.

heres my problem

I can not FIND a color phase for pacs!!! not only that but every i go theyre mixing up pac man frogs and giving them different names, all i found was this

Horned Frogs

Pac-man Frog
Chacoan Horned Frog
Cranwell's Horned Frog
Ceratophrys cranwelli
Ornate Pac-man Frog
Ornate Horned Frog
Argentine Horned Frog
Bell's Horned Frog
Ceratophrys ornata
Fantasy Frog
Fantasy Pac-man Frog
Fantasy Horned Frog
Ceratophrys cranwelli x Ceratophrys ornata
Suriname Horned Frog
Amazonian Horned Frog
Ceratophrys cornuta

are some of these phases? is what i thought, then i saw the greek or scientific names whatever, and became more confused because they were ALL considerd pac man frogs!!! can someone straiten this out and lay down the lines of pac man frogs, ornates, and their color phases for me? ive looked and asked all over : / ive done EVERYTHING except join a amphibiansite which i considerd just to find this out!! anyways, maybe someone here can explain my pac man troubles and make everything make sense and lay it all out for me? Please & Thank you!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Ameivaboy
Ceratophrys cranwelli is your green,albino, brown and blue horned (pacman) frogs.
There are many variations/phases/morphs of this species but most are available outside USA

Ceratophrys ornata is the ornate horned (pacman) frog

Ceratophrys cornuta x cranwelli is your fantasy (pacman) frog

This is one of the problems of using common names vs scientific.

Common names are usually many for just one species - where the same animal with 10 common names always has 1 scientific (though these can change from time time)

Hope that helps.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
IndustrialBoaPunk
thank you so so much that honest to god helps!!!!!!! i also read they ALL get aout 6inches wide/long?? i kind of want a, ornate, albino, maybe a blue hornd and a red pac. and i do honestly prefer scientific names, my problem is sepperating the clusters of them from the common names thaat are always being added too and changed. ive been meaning to try and get hold of a dictionairy of reptiles.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
Ed Clark
If you don't have alot of frog experience stick with something a bit hardier like a ceratophrys ornata the ornate horned frog, as you gain more experience try some of the other horned frogs, that will cut your losses big time.

Good luck and don't forget to treat them as they all will need to be treated.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!