Dan Pleva/ Hungry Herps Software - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-28-2002, 01:59 PM   #1
Ken Harbart
Thumbs up Dan Pleva/ Hungry Herps Software

For a few years, I was using MSA Herp to keep track of my animals. It had its flaws, but was an "okay" program that suited my needs.

I reformatted my hard drive in early October and lost my license key for MSA. A month and a half later, al of the emails that were sent to Micronexus requesting some kind of service/support remain unanswered.

This left me with two alternatives- pay again for what I was already entitled to, or find an alternative software. I checked out the freeware & shareware, but felt that they were lacking in some way that I just can't put my finger on.

That's when I decided to try Hungry Herps. After a few glitches, I'm quite happy with it. One of the features that I especially like is the namesake of the program. All I need to do is press F2, and I get a list of all animals in my collection that are due to be fed that day, along with a list letting me know the types and quantities of rodents I need to thaw.

Old 11-28-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
Jesse Van Atta
So, in your opinion, is it worth what you have to pay for it? How many reptiles/animals do you have, and what species are they?
Is there anything still that you think Hungry Herps is lacking? My wife and I tried the trial version, and decided that it was not all it was made up to be, and not worth its price, but would like to hear some other opinions about it.....TIA

Jesse Van Atta

Old 11-28-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Ken Harbart
Quote:
So, in your opinion, is it worth what you have to pay for it?
Yes. Even though I feel that it was worth the price, I'd still feel that this software would be better served by dropping the price. $50 is an expense that many herpers would have a hard time justifying to themselves.

Quote:
How many reptiles/animals do you have, and what species are they?
68 snakes at the moment. Species include Tumbes boa constrictor, Bolivian boa constrictor, Colombian boa constrictor, olive python, Children's python, spotted python, woma, African house snake, Namibian house snake, bull snake, San Diego gopher snake, Northern pine snake, corn snake, black rat snake, black milk snake, Honduran milk snake, eyelash viper, and monocle cobra.

Quote:
Is there anything still that you think Hungry Herps is lacking?
I'll admit that my first impression of Hungry Herps wasn't a favorable one. However though, it's grown on me as I've become more accustomed to using it.

A few things that I've noticed about this software...
After closing the program, it has a tendency to linger, still running in the background. The only way I've seen to completely close it is via the task manager. This doesn'[t seem to cinsume any extra resources though, and is merely an annoyance.

One other thing that bugs me is how easy it is to duplicate entries when updating feeding records. Finding and deleting these records can be a bit frustrating.

Also, I found that it was best to delete all of the entries for species, orders, families, diseases, etc, and start from scratch.

The capability to add photos, which will be in an upoming release, will be a welcome addition.

Old 11-30-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
JungleHabitats
Talking Hungry herps

WOW i must admit .. i had posted threads on them sometime ago and have been using there software for over a year now. It is somewhat daunting to load all of your info on your animals , but to me is worth the weight in gold when done proper.It also minimizes the need for the long paper trail of note pads, index cards etc. I have talked with Dan sometime ago and listed several items that would better benifit the needs of us herpes such as the need to attach pictures to the individual snake / lizard etc you enter. he stated there would be that along with a few other upgrades in the newer version to come out . the one thing i do like alot is the ability to produce a indepth feeding and husbandry regime on any animal you may sale! meaning not having to make copies or include dozens of cue cards for a buyer you can just print it up nice and neat and send it with the animal they purchase. I have also talked with him and have a nice abundance of his disks that i am offering in purchases of cages and racks. , where I PAY the $50 registration fee at the end of the 30 day trial if you like the software for more information please feel free to contact me at sales@junglehabitats.com

i give Hungry Herps a definate two thumbs up!!

Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
Ken Harbart
I just wanted to reitterate my praise for Dan Pleva and Hungry Herps software.

Now that almost a year has passed, I've been able to put the program through its paces, and am quite happy with it. Also, for reasons that escape logic, I decided to reformat my hard drive again last month and ran into some issues with my registration key. Dan resolved any problems that I had quickly and courteously.

I'll also re-address some of the things that I mentioned previously...
Cost... While the initial expense might be hard for someone with a small collection to justify, it's money well spent, IMO. What I've saved in time and energy expended while updating my personal records has more than paid for the program. As Alan has said, the ability to give a customer a detailed history on an animal with just the click of a button is a definite plus.

As for the program still running in the background after it's closed... it closes properly when you use the "quit" command. My bad.

All in all, I still gotta go with two thumbs up for Dan and his software.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!