Off The Ark Exotic Pets INQUIRY - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #31
ruby
A quote from the VA DGIF website:

Possession, importation, sale, etc. of wild animals

It is unlawful to take, possess, import, cause to be imported, export, cause to be exported, buy, sell, offer for sale, or liberate within the Commonwealth any wild animals unless otherwise specifically permitted by law or regulation. It is unlawful to destroy or molest the nest, eggs, dens, or young of any wild bird or wild animal, except nuisance species*, at any time without a permit. It is unlawful to collect animal parts, such as feathers, claws, bones, and antlers, without a permit (4 VAC 15-30-10 and §29.1-521).

* Nuisance species: house mouse, Norway rat, black rat, coyote, feral hog, nutria, woodchuck, European starling, English (house) sparrow, and pigeon (rock dove) (4 VAC 15-20-160).

Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use**

It is lawful to collect and possess live for private use** only, and not for sale, no more than 5 individuals of any non-listed species of amphibian and reptile, and no more than 20 individuals of any non-listed species of aquatic invertebrate and nongame fish (4 VAC 15-360-10). Non-listed terrestrial invertebrates may be taken in unlimited numbers for private use** only.

* ** private use means for use in the home, not for scientific or educational purposes (which requires a permit).

Hope that helps.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #32
Serafim
Good point but They specifically mention wild not captive bred. Please read the section I quoted earlier. It appears there is no clear law regarding selling species that are not wild. If you use the logic that all species that are indigenous to Virginia are illegal to sell Corn Snakes and many rat snake species would be illegal to sell. Not to mention other reptiles that are sold legally in Virginia on a daily basis.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
ruby
Thanks. I understand the point that you are trying to make.

They are apparently making a distinction between wild (animals found in the wild in VA) and domesticated species (dogs, cats, cattle, horses, etc.), not between wild (WC) and captive bred (CB) species. Again, that is how the issue has been explained to me by state DGIF officials.

To give you an example:

I have a few Eastern box turtles: I cannot legally sell them, or their captive bred offspring, in or out of state, by virtue of the fact that the turtles in my possession are native to VA, and occur here in the wild.

Regards

Old 09-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #34
ruby
Here's a more complete quote from the DGIF website:
"
# The DGIF is now issuing permits to licensed pet stores and captive breeders for them to sell three species of captive-bred snakes (4 VAC 15-360-50): eastern kingsnake, mole kingsnake, and corn snake. No other snakes native to Virginia can be bought or sold in Virginia, and there are size limits as to what can be sold.
# No threatened or endangered species may be bought or sold for any purposes at any time, whether dead or alive, including their parts.
# Because the Lacey Act restricts the interstate transport of birds and other animals, federal laws prohibit moving fish and wildlife into the state if they were illegally taken elsewhere. Therefore, if you make a wildlife purchase from an out-of-state supplier, the species must have been legally collected, propagated, and/or sold according to the laws of that state. "

So, as I mentioned previously, there are certain exceptions.

You can all read more here:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlif...ingselling.asp

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/permits/guide.asp

I think that the best thing for anyone to do would be to contact the appropriate official at VA DGIF and get the facts.

Cheers!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #35
Serafim
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmcritters
Actually Andy, Bigtiger is correct, the first question was about any dealings, not about bashing. Chesterfield was there today and they were satisfied and the State makes their normal inspections. Proper permits are in place and there are more legal permits for crocodilians(sp) than you are aware of. Hope you don't get offened by this reply as I have considered you a friend in the past. There are lots of venomous around in collections. Your ex boss had them in his house! See you around.
I believe that the Box Turtle is considered a protected species in Virginia. Its been some years since I have lived in the commonwealth so I may be wrong. My point was inregards to the earler posts about them selling illegal wild caught specimens.

None of the reports of them selling wild caught specimens have been proven yet. I am not defending off the Ark as I have read some of the owners ramblings. I just would like to see proof that Of the ark went and collected reptiles from the wild and sold them. Thanks for your input Ruby

Old 09-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #36
ruby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafim
I believe that the Box Turtle is considered a protected species in Virginia. Its been some years since I have lived in the commonwealth so I may be wrong. My point was inregards to the earler posts about them selling illegal wild caught specimens.

None of the reports of them selling wild caught specimens have been proven yet. I am not defending off the Ark as I have read some of the owners ramblings. I just would like to see proof that Of the ark went and collected reptiles from the wild and sold them. Thanks for your input Ruby

You are correct: the status of the Eastern Box Turtles is non-game/protected, as is the status of many other species in VA, including black rat snakes, Eastern Hognose snakes, Eastern Painted Turtles, Copperheads, etc.

Again, according to the state official that I've spoken to, and according to the DGIF literature I have already posted here, it is illegal to sell VA native species....regardless of their provinance.

In other words, it apparently doesn't matter if the specimens being sold are WC or not.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #37
snakewrangler
yes, but it looks as if nobody is going to do anything about it.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #38
Serafim
That is the problem Seth non enforcement of the law. And what I was trying to say earlier ruby is this. What if it was a painted turtle for example and it was captive born in florida or North Carolina. Is it illegal to sell it just because its a Native species to Virginia. Im just curious because it makes little sense to not allow imports. And how could they prove it wasn't wild caught in Virginia. The whole wording to their law is not clear because it states wild caught in Virginia.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #39
snakewrangler
yeah, you're right. When I spoke with the folks at Chesterfield Co., they seemed genuinely concerned, but then I read the post about the county actually going down there and everything checking out. The only reason I got involved in this thread is because I do not want the freedoms that I have in my home state regarding reptile ownership to be threatened because of a few people or their actions.

If the proper authorities went to the store and everything checked out, I'm satisfied. It is not going to change my mind that something is fishy with this operation.

The 'biosphere' thread was way out in left field, and I cringe to think about his 'summer camp' activities, i.e. 'venomous demonstration' whatever that means.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #40
ruby
I understand that County officials have been notified, but have the appropriate officials at the State level been contacted? They would be the ones with the authority to enforce State laws....

Ruby

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!