Reptile Basics SIM incubation box - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Madden View Post
Stephanie, You are right I am sorry... Still not sure how you can form an opinion on our product or compare it to other methods when you have never used it... Our own findings and reports from our users seem to say the exact opposite of what you say...
I am also unsure how you come to the conclusion that this container is only good for small scale breeders... There are many large scale breeders using the container and some of them converted completely to using the S.I.M...
I would like to know where you are getting the info you need to come up with these assumptions...
It's fine, Gregg. I'm sorry you misunderstood my comments and intentions.

The science behind your SIM containers isn't new, that's how I can compare it to other forms of incubation. Yes, your containers are new and have nice additions like the rails to prevent individual eggs from rolling. But what it does compared to other substrate-less incubation methods is not (if done properly, of course). Your product definitely took the guess work out of substrate-less for the newbie and for someone new to substrate-less, I would definitely suggest your SIM containers over trying to go at it alone (and potentially make mistakes).

My opinion on it not being worth-while for me (or larger breeders) to use the SIM containers is because a) I have refined my substrate-less incubation containers and see no reason to replace what I have when it has proven to work b) the cost would be ridiculous to get enough to support a single season of eggs (I estimated $2,000 based on online pricing just to get through this season of clutches - also because of the smaller size of the containers). I understand the high cost is because of the quality materials, there's no argument there. I still don't see a way to justify the expense.

Quote:
My personal favorite is cellulose sponge material... This has worked great and many people are using it as a medium... Just soak the sponge, ring it out, and you have the perfect amount of water in your container...
I'd be interested in knowing a little bit more about this method. I never thought of using sponge! From the hognose clutch picture, it looks like standard household cleaning sponges shredded? Are you able to disinfect and reuse them for the next season? Is their anything further you could share?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
dustinNMpythons
Thanks for the info Gregg and Donna. Sounds like a really awesome product.

Gregg from what I have read on these posts, Stephanie is merely saying that for her it would be too costly to switch over and that she uses a similar home-made method. She's not bashing you product and said that the method behind it works and she uses the same method herself. Theres really nothing to argue about haha. Thanks for the pictures also, thats really cool. I understand the science behind the product now. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
Gregg Madden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
It's fine, Gregg. I'm sorry you misunderstood my comments and intentions.

The science behind your SIM containers isn't new, that's how I can compare it to other forms of incubation. Yes, your containers are new and have nice additions like the rails to prevent individual eggs from rolling. But what it does compared to other substrate-less incubation methods is not (if done properly, of course). Your product definitely took the guess work out of substrate-less for the newbie and for someone new to substrate-less, I would definitely suggest your SIM containers over trying to go at it alone (and potentially make mistakes).

My opinion on it not being worth-while for me (or larger breeders) to use the SIM containers is because a) I have refined my substrate-less incubation containers and see no reason to replace what I have when it has proven to work b) the cost would be ridiculous to get enough to support a single season of eggs (I estimated $2,000 based on online pricing just to get through this season of clutches - also because of the smaller size of the containers). I understand the high cost is because of the quality materials, there's no argument there. I still don't see a way to justify the expense.

I'd be interested in knowing a little bit more about this method. I never thought of using sponge! From the hognose clutch picture, it looks like standard household cleaning sponges shredded? Are you able to disinfect and reuse them for the next season? Is their anything further you could share?
I understand the concept is not new, however our containers do differ from other no substrate methods in a few ways...
For one, the grid does not sit on the substrate either... The grid is actually suspended above the substrate... This allows the carbon dioxide to drop away from the egg being that it is heavier than oxygen... This allows eggs to develop better and faster because they are getting more oxygen and they are not taking in any carbon dioxide... Carbon dioxide taken in by eggs is known to slow down development of reptilan embryos...

This container was also not something thrown together from Home Depot parts... It was designed to allow maximum oxygen intake through the grid spacing and the cubic space inside the container... The lid was designed be removed easily by the user and not by the hatchlings... The easy removal allows the user to lift the lid without shaking the container or causing a vacum situation that can cause eggs to explode from pressure changes...

As far as the high cost goes, we give huge discounts when large orders are placed to make it easy for large breeders to convert... You are also buying a super high quality product that will last you as long as you are breeding reptiles... I am 195 lbs and can stand on these containers and they will not break... They have been drop tested on concrete from 10 feet up and will not break... We have shipped thousands from China and then to customers and not one has ever been broken in transit...

The cellolose sponge material is basically shredded household sponge...
The sponge can be cleaned and reused over and over... I left one of the container with the cellulose sponge material for months after the eggs hatched out just to see if it would grow mold or bacteria from the left over egg fluid... There is no mold and the lack of any smell at all would indicate that there is no significant bacterial level... However, I would clean the sponge after the clutch or clutches are done hatching

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
Thanks for the info Gregg and Donna. Sounds like a really awesome product.

Gregg from what I have read on these posts, Stephanie is merely saying that for her it would be too costly to switch over and that she uses a similar home-made method. She's not bashing you product and said that the method behind it works and she uses the same method herself. Theres really nothing to argue about haha. Thanks for the pictures also, thats really cool. I understand the science behind the product now. Thanks everyone.
Dustin, there was a bit of history with the issue with Stephanie... With that being said, I clearly misunderstood her intentions on this thread because of a previous one a while back... I jumped the gun and apologized for it... LOL

Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
dustinNMpythons
Gregg,

Thanks for coming on here. You have some AWESOME info on the product as well as the sponge method. You've really cleared up all the questions I had and made me want to try it out that much more.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
The cellolose sponge material is basically shredded household sponge...The sponge can be cleaned and reused over and over... I left one of the container with the cellulose sponge material for months after the eggs hatched out just to see if it would grow mold or bacteria from the left over egg fluid... There is no mold and the lack of any smell at all would indicate that there is no significant bacterial level... However, I would clean the sponge after the clutch or clutches are done hatching
Very cool. Do you use a higher quality sponge (or a particular brand)? I know cheapy ones only get a few uses out of them when I'm cleaning with them and I would imagine they wouldn't be a good candidate for multiple reuse?

I think I'm going to try the sponge method this year on one clutch of each species to experiment myself. I imagine boiling them (sponges, not the eggs!) would be sufficient for disinfecting for reuse?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #26
dustinNMpythons
If I buy a bunch of SIM's from you guys will you throw the sponges in for free hahaha I'm just playin.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
Johnantny
Stephanie, We offer excellent bulk pricing that may be more attractive than single SIM prices. Seeing you are a breeder and have larger supply requirements, we can work something out if you were interested.

Dustin, We can supply the sponge already prepped for you. As for free, I cannot give it away but I can save you shipping if you bought a few SIM... we are pretty flexible. Also I'd like to add Gregg and I are hobbyists and breeders just like so many others... trying to find a niche in this industry. The SIM is one of many new products we will offer for incubation and husbandry.

Thanks,

John

Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #28
dustinNMpythons
Thanks John, yeah I'm just messin with you guys I know you can't give that stuff away. I need to finish building my incubator and then I'll look at getting the egg containers. I'll tell you, you guys are pretty high on the list of choices. I really like the design and concept.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #29
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnantny View Post
Stephanie, We offer excellent bulk pricing that may be more attractive than single SIM prices. Seeing you are a breeder and have larger supply requirements, we can work something out if you were interested.
Thank you for the offer, John. I'd be interested in seeing what you sell these by the case, but the discount would have to be significant for me even to consider it. Feel free to get in contact with me privately.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #30
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnantny View Post

Dustin, We can supply the sponge already prepped for you. As for free, I cannot give it away but I can save you shipping if you bought a few SIM... we are pretty flexible. Also I'd like to add Gregg and I are hobbyists and breeders just like so many others... trying to find a niche in this industry. The SIM is one of many new products we will offer for incubation and husbandry.

Thanks,

John
Please keep in mind that this is NOT the classifieds - save the sales related talk for your ads, or PMs
(actually, that applies to all participants, not just Johnantny)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!