2011... time to bend over and take it from the airlines - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
2011... time to bend over and take it from the airlines

What next? More airline fees possible in 2011

Guess the BILLIONS in profit wasn't enough for them. I say lets shut them down and go back to a simplier time. Between the TSA and the greedy Airlines... Im boycotting. No flying for me.

Quote:
Air travelers who paid extra for everything from checked baggage to in-flight meals to reserving a seat last year can expect even more fees in 2011.

What will they think of next? How about a fee for talking to an agent at a ticketing counter.

A fee for everything Fact is, airlines have already thought of a lot more fees than many travelers, especially in the U.S., may realize.

De facto carry-on fees: Most U.S. airlines have stated that they won’t follow Spirit Airlines’ lead and charge you a fee to put your carry-on bag in the overhead bin. Funny thing, though, many, including American, United and US Airways, essentially have. They may call it priority boarding or choice seating, but the real benefit isn’t faster access to a better seat.

“Savvy travelers know that early boarding provides the most important access of all,” said Sorensen, “and that is to empty overhead space.” In Europe, easyJet offers the service as an annual subscription (£109, or $168), which not only brings in more money, but incentivizes people to fly the airline consistently. Considering that United already offers annual plans for free baggage and extra legroom, consistent access to the overhead bins would be a natural addition.

International baggage fees: Two years ago, rising oil prices gave U.S. airlines cover to implement a first-bag fee on domestic flights. Now, with oil approaching $90 per barrel, might they start doing the same for international flights?

They might, especially if they can't raise fares, said Hunter Keay, an analyst with Stifel Nicolaus. “Assuming airlines introduce a $25 fee for [the] first checked bag on international long-haul flights, we believe the industry could add $2.7 billion in earnings in 2011.” According to Keay, such “low-hanging fruit” would more than offset a $20-per-barrel increase in the price of oil.

Infant fees: “Lap children currently fly free on domestic U.S. flights, but will this always be the case?” asked George Hobica of AirfareWatchdog.com. Considering that airlines already charge such fees on international flights (typically 10 percent of the adult fare), Hobica considers a similar domestic charge among the most likely additions for 2011. “If the government doesn’t act to ban lap children,” he said, “we might see the airlines make a move.”

Counter costs: The more self-service options the airlines offer, the more they can save on salaries and other personnel costs. How to encourage people to use those options? By charging for the alternative: “If you can charge $15–$20 to talk to a human being on the phone,” Hobica said, “how about a charge to talk to a human being at the airport?”

Pulled privileges: Currently, many travelers avoid fees by being members of airline loyalty programs. But, suggests Robert Mann of R.W. Mann & Co., an industry analysis and consulting company, such programs are bottom-loaded with millions of less-than-elite members who could find their privileges on the chopping block.

“The airlines don’t necessarily want to upset them,” said Mann, “but they’re certainly not as important as their most loyal customers.” Cutting back on their exemptions, “not only creates opportunities to collect fees from a new group of customers, but also creates some real differentiation for the elite tiers of the program.”

The plot thickens At this point, most of the above ideas are strictly speculative, but with the industry’s profitability riding, in large part, on ancillary revenue, it’s safe to assume that they (and others) are being discussed in corporate offices in Atlanta, Dallas and Chicago

Talk about a lack of customer service. So your gonna charge me to talk to a person over the phone or at the customer service counter. I've got one thing to say to that.

GO GET BENT!!!!

I look at that like I do the self service checkouts at the store. Do I get a discount for being my own cashier.... NO.... then why am I going to do your job for you and you make the same amount of money. I don't think so. I have never used one of those registers and I never will.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
KelliH
The airlines are going broke. Within the next few years there will probably only be one major airline in U.S.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Southern Wolf
Going broke. How the hell do you figure that. They are showing profits in the BILLIONS!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
KelliH
Here's a good article to read about this topic-
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/..._merger_a.html

The airline industry lost more than $58 billion from 2001 to 2009. Most airlines did profit in 2010, but only because of all these price hikes that we have been seeing. If they don't raise prices they will go bankrupt.

As the price of a barrel of oil continues it's increase, the price to travel by air will continue to increase. I believe that we will continue to see more airline mergers over the next few years, as we have seen happen recently, and that eventually there will be one major air carrier. It's just my opinion.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
KelliH
So basically my point is that either the airlines increase fees or they go out of business.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Southern Wolf
With the BS that we are having to endure now... I vote for OUT OF BUSINESS!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
KelliH
I'm with ya there!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
deborahbroadus
I quit flying.

I'll ride the train or drive. *Visiting people is overrated anyway.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Southern Wolf
If this country would slow down.... it might be a better place. That's why i love to go out hiking. I can slow down and enjoy the natural wonders around me.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
KelliH
I agree with you Kevin. My favorite place in the world is far West Texas. I relish the quietness and the "slowness".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!