Aussie Walking Sticks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > Insects and Arachnids For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Insects and Arachnids For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
Leah
Aussie Walking Sticks

Extatosoma Tiaratum
Australian Walking Stick

Mix of subadult nymphs, 1.5" to adult. 15 available at $5 ea, $30 overnight shipping w/heat packs will be added to each order. Buy all 15 for $70 and receive a few extra for free.

Pics available.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Striker11
Do you have any more walking sticks?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Rebel Dragons
Check the date............this ad is from Dec 2003

Old 07-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Roberttoe
How in the heck did Leah get those in the country here? Hmmmm! I suppose Leah smuggled them back in a suit case!

Old 07-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberttoe
How in the heck did Leah get those in the country here? Hmmmm! I suppose Leah smuggled them back in a suit case!
Hey Robert, the ad is from 2003 and *you* just made a serious accusation. That's a fine way to welcome yourself to this site.

Here's your sign:

Old 07-26-2005, 04:15 AM   #6
Roberttoe
Sorry 'bout that ole Jim "O" ! I thought the Australian govn't didn't allow any of their bugs outta the country or the USA didn't let people let them in unless there wasn't a law at the time. I was just kidding, maybe i shouldn't crack that joke. I'm not really a Troll, i'm a big fat PILL BUG! (and i have a few of those, and giant pedes).

Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 AM   #7
Roberttoe
Unhappy About Australian Walking Sticks

I've been a member of the American Tarantula Society since 1990 and if I remember right, somewhere towards the mid 1990's, i read an article in the Tarantula Forum about phasmids. I wrote to one dealer over in the U.K. and he said he couldn't send me any cause the U.S.A. USDA people will confiscate the invertebrates!

He was at least able to send me a few colourful books (which i could get here) and other readable material. We have walking sticks in our country, but they're not as beautfiul or very "strange awesome looking" like those over seas. I wonder how that Leah was able to get ahold of those. I would LOVE to have and try to breed those type of Phasmids!

Say Jim "BO" What kind of invertebrates do you keep? I've been raising Giant Millipedes and Giant Pills for the past 20+ years. For the past year, tryed to raise and breed Emperor Scorpions, but they died. Either they were full grown ready to die, unless the "care sheet" i got at PETCO in Eureka Calif was inaccurate. Any Suggestions, comments, ideas is surely appreciated. Thanks. I was just kidding about Leah. I sure like to try my hand raising that particular type of Phasmid, but HOW can I get a hold of them? I thought the USDA doesn't let them in the country ?!? (unless they changed the laws?) Hmmmmmm.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #8
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberttoe
I've been a member of the American Tarantula Society since 1990 and if I remember right, somewhere towards the mid 1990's, i read an article in the Tarantula Forum about phasmids. I wrote to one dealer over in the U.K. and he said he couldn't send me any cause the U.S.A. USDA people will confiscate the invertebrates!

He was at least able to send me a few colourful books (which i could get here) and other readable material. We have walking sticks in our country, but they're not as beautfiul or very "strange awesome looking" like those over seas. I wonder how that Leah was able to get ahold of those. I would LOVE to have and try to breed those type of Phasmids!

Say Jim "BO" What kind of invertebrates do you keep? I've been raising Giant Millipedes and Giant Pills for the past 20+ years. For the past year, tryed to raise and breed Emperor Scorpions, but they died. Either they were full grown ready to die, unless the "care sheet" i got at PETCO in Eureka Calif was inaccurate. Any Suggestions, comments, ideas is surely appreciated. Thanks. I was just kidding about Leah. I sure like to try my hand raising that particular type of Phasmid, but HOW can I get a hold of them? I thought the USDA doesn't let them in the country ?!? (unless they changed the laws?) Hmmmmmm.
I could give a pile of crap about your so-called qualifications. I've been a human for 46 years and know better than to make an accusation of a serious felony without knowing the facts. You may be right but you cannot know that. Maybe, just maybe someone has been producing these babies and keeping below *your* radar. Maybe they were smuggled. Who really knows?

But coming to a site and publicly making such an accusation on a thread from 2003 was not called for. If you really want some, maybe you would contact Leah and ask her where they originated. Seems to me that might have been a wise choice for someone who wants to own a few of these guys. The content of your post (which you now say was "kidding") was not that of someone who "sure like to try my hand raising that particular type of Phasmid" now was it?

Old 07-26-2005, 10:04 AM   #9
Cat_72
A note on the legality of owning these.....quoted from an article by a Kevin Wright, DVM.

Quote:
"The giant prickly stick-insect seems to be well-established in European home collections. This is not the case in the United States of America, where the species is perceived as a potential agricultural pest capable of becoming established in the warmer states. In the US, possession of giant prickly stick-insects (and many other non-native invertebrates) is regulated by federal agencies and is, therefore, restricted to institutions rather than private hobbyists."
So, regardless of how or where these were obtained, it is not legal to have them, apparently.

Jim is correct however.....it's pretty serious matter to post a public accusation such as you did. I've seen cases where people have bought similar things without the seller "mentioning" that the aren't legal to keep. She may be an guilty of nothing but ignorance of the laws regarding them. Accusing someone of being a smuggler of illegals is NOT something to be "joked" about.

I'm not defending her, either way......I'm just saying you should know your facts before making such serious accusations. Ignorance, if that's the case, doesn't make her any less guilty of owning them....but it doesn't make her a smuggler. Perhaps you should try contacting her to find out how she obtained them?

Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #10
Roberttoe
Please Cathy, don't sic yer dog on me!

Maybe I shouldn't have made that statement. By the way you and ole Jim "Bo" express yer thoughts I posted something that got him angry at me and yer right that I should'nt have JOKED about it. I didn't realized some people wouldn't take things seriously liked that.

I myself really don't know what the consequences are if one were to get caught bringing something like that back. Would that be a misdemeanor or a felony, I don't know! Maybe you can enlightened me Cathy, and I wasn't being stupid, i was just being plain "IGNORANT"! And i'm sorry for "joking around". It could be possible that maybe she got them legally or found a way to get them in the country (??) Who knows..

I wonder about if the USDA is going to enforce the laws on Praying Mantis's & Giant African Millipedes or not. I have a collection of females & a few of my males died and I'm look'n for few new Males..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread