Provent a mite - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
WingedWolf
Just do your research first. As I said, piperonyl butoxide isn't an active ingredient, but it's in some of these products as an inactive ingredient. It's toxic to reptiles. Reptiles are hardy, you could use it and see no effects for a long time, but then, one animal might prove to be sensitive, and you lose an animal that you didn't have to lose.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
AbsoluteApril
die mites die!!
lol

I hate those lil suckers.
This stuff always works great for me and I highly recommend it.
-April

Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
bradleymoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
Just do your research first. As I said, piperonyl butoxide isn't an active ingredient, but it's in some of these products as an inactive ingredient. It's toxic to reptiles. Reptiles are hardy, you could use it and see no effects for a long time, but then, one animal might prove to be sensitive, and you lose an animal that you didn't have to lose.
i agree. i just figured since probably the biggest breeding outfit recommended it... they would've already done that research.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #24
rabernet
What I find truly baffling is that a can of Provent A Mite costs $20 and shipping. Equate costs $5 from what I'm told. How much money have many of us spent to get a desired morph? And yet decide to be cheap when it comes to their safety and well being.

A can of Provent A Mite can last me over a year.

I always read "they're the same thing". How does anyone know that? The only active ingredient listed on either is Permethrin at 0.5%. What about the other 99.5% ingredients NOT listed? Can anyone say with authority that they're RALLY the same? My can of Provent A Mite lists "Other Ingredients" as 99.5% of the rest of the make-up of the product.

Isn't your collection worth the extra $15? How much would it cost you to replace a prized animal that was the one animal that had a reaction to Equate? That's a rhetorical question for anyone considering using a product NOT approved for reptiles.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
rabernet
RALLY = REALLY

Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
bradleymoore
a really good source would be bhb enterprises, and rustys balls... as i said. i'll email brian and rick and see if they'll come on and speak their mind. i wouldn't imagine a million+ dollar a year company would be risking their livelihood.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
rosebud945
Quote:
I always read "they're the same thing". How does anyone know that? The only active ingredient listed on either is Permethrin at 0.5%. What about the other 99.5% ingredients NOT listed? Can anyone say with authority that they're RALLY the same? My can of Provent A Mite lists "Other Ingredients" as 99.5% of the rest of the make-up of the product.
Read the label?

Every product label that I have seen that contains either medicinal or potentially lethal ingredients has both the active ingredients listed and the inactive ingredients. I lost my label for the PAM, so i can only assume the inactive ingredients are listed.

I have used PAM with good success, but you do have to be careful about using it with some species of snakes and lizards that have been found to be more sensitive to permethrins, so you do need to do your research and you do need to follow the instructions. I also know that some people have used the other products mentioned here with good success. Most mattress and lice products have very little to no toxic ingredients because they are made to be used on humans, but some do have more permetherines, so they might need to be diluted.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #28
rabernet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post
Read the label?

Every product label that I have seen that contains either medicinal or potentially lethal ingredients has both the active ingredients listed and the inactive ingredients. I lost my label for the PAM, so i can only assume the inactive ingredients are listed.

I have used PAM with good success, but you do have to be careful about using it with some species of snakes and lizards that have been found to be more sensitive to permethrins, so you do need to do your research and you do need to follow the instructions. I also know that some people have used the other products mentioned here with good success. Most mattress and lice products have very little to no toxic ingredients because they are made to be used on humans, but some do have more permetherines, so they might need to be diluted.
I have - and inactive ingredients are NOT listed. So, again - how can folks make the claim that they are exactly the same thing?

Scroll down to "Other Ingredients" in this link:

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...DIST_NR=073617

Quote:
By U.S. law, only active ingredients (AIs) are reported. In addition to active ingredients, pesticide products may contain one or more "inert" ingredients. Many "inert" ingredients in current use have known adverse human and environmental effects.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #29
Twizted Paths
I use provent a mite & provent a mite only. I won't risk my animals with anything else.

It's well worth the money, which really is chump change compared to everything else involved w/ them & their husbandry.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #30
WingedWolf
It's really not a huge expense...I mean, if you can't afford the extra 15 bucks, you're doing something wrong in your budgeting (heaven help you if an animal gets sick).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!