Amazon Reptiles of Tampa - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-17-2002, 05:44 PM   #81
BILLY WILLIAMS
Let me begin by saying that my previous post was my personal take on what I witnessed at Amazon reptiles the other day. This was in no way an attack at Dave Lawson, it was a mere post about Amazon Reptiles. After all, this is what the BOI is for, isn't it; posting comments and experiences about certain business' practices and antics, to give the potential customer one extra opinion on the business they are going to give their money to. All I said was that I saw some sick-looking animals; animals which were most likely imports, which should be quarentined to avoid contamination to the rest of the stock. When the fear of illness dissipates, then you should add it to the rest of the collection. The other thing, all I said was that I didn't think it was too wise keeping the door open, when ectotherms' health is at stake. I am looking forward to the "spruce up" of the place; Amazon Reptiles has much potential and promise, and it would be a shame to let it go to waste. I do agree with some of the other posts in that the staff should be "re-educated" concerning herps and their captive care. I will try to stop by on the weekend when I have some free time.

bob mendyk

Old 11-18-2002, 10:39 AM   #82
T. Granger
As I stated in my last post I did go to Amazon yesterday and I did talk to Mr. Lawson, He told me of some of the plans instore for the shop and some of the changes that have already been made and I am impressed. While I was there they were very busy with cleaning, feeding and a swarm of people buying animals and supplies. I ask him what he thinks of the snake pit and Neil and to my surprise He spoke good of the him and his store along with Josie's. After my visit I found Dave to be professional and polite. I think that Amazon will soon be the top dog in Tampa with Lawson at the helm.

Old 11-19-2002, 09:10 PM   #83
Shelly Tanner
I could not resist the invite by Dave Lawson, so I stopped by Amazon today. I walked up to this "BIG" guy and ask to see Mr. Lawson to my surprise he said "I'm Dave, what can I help you with". The reason this caught me off gaurd is the fact that people gave me the impression that Dave was this rude ogre type. But I found him to be very pleasant and easy to talk to.

I told him who I was and introduced him to my son, the very next thing he did was to apologize over and over again for the past drama with Angela and he belayed the owners feelings as well. I spent almost a hour talking to him and he offered us a replacement reptile of our choice, which closer to Christmas we will be taking him up on.

Over the entire time we were there talking to him about Angela and the people who e-mailed me (I gave copies to him) which all three people said nasty things about him, as he read them he only smiled but never said a bad thing about any of then but the other three are store owners in the Tampa area and they want to throw stones. To me that takes a big person to do that and a very professional on to. Amazon and Dave Lawson has new friends with me and my son.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #84
giant keeper
This is my first post so please be easy on me if what I have to say offends you, I am a lurker and only signed up last night. Here is my story of Amazon.

Yesterday I went there to get some crickets (pin heads) I was told by a latin man that they do not sell them anymore and that my 2 week old dragon would gulp down 1/4" with no trouble, I told him that the 1/4" were almost half the crickets size. At that point he told me very rudely that "HE WAS THE PROFESSIONAL" . I left the store feeling as if I was scolded for being bad. I returned to the store tonight to hopfully talk to a manager, I talked to a girl ( short and chunky) and she told me that the latin mans name is Fernando Torres and he is the manager right now. I told her of the day before and how I was treated and the rude attitude he gave to me. I was told that several people have exspessed the same feelings. This Fernando has raised prices on everything from sand to animals (the young lady told me). I will never return to that store again.

Old 11-27-2002, 07:08 PM   #85
T. Granger
Luke, you got off easy. On sundat my wife went in to get some pinheads and a rat, a fellow meet her at the door and said he was the store manager Fernando (sp ?) she told him that she needed a large rat and some pinheads. He told her that we had to order pinheads 1 week in advance and we had to get 500 at a time for $14.00 (I call cricket farms and found I can 1000 for almost half that) and if we want a rodent that we would have to buy a carrier for $6.00 she ask if he would just put it in a box and he said NO, THEY ARE NOT A CHARITY STORE, THEY DO NOT GIVE THINGS AWAY. I do not know where this guy came from but I do plan on asking around.

Old 11-27-2002, 07:29 PM   #86
Neil Gubitz
This is crazy.... if you guys want pinheads.... come into my store and you can have as many as you want for $1.55 (inc. tax) for 25 or so (and I can't count)!!
Look in The Bargain Trader for my full page ad, and get FREE crickets!

I can't believe that Tom would allow that store to do what it's doing.... allegedly, that is....

....Neil

Old 11-27-2002, 07:34 PM   #87
Gary Walsch
It sounds to me like Tom is having a bit of a problem with his employees. If this " Fernando " is the new manager then whats the deal, is the manager allowed to be rude to people because he is the manager ? It's behavior like this that keep people from getting involved with reptiles, especially newbies. Do you really think that when someone goes into pet supermarket they are treated in a rude manor ? I think its a bad idea to try and intimidate your customers .... when you do they seldom come back unless they are masochistic or have tendencies there of ( Neil leave this one alone ). I really hope that Tom gets that store together. I wish him luck.

Gary

Old 11-27-2002, 08:22 PM   #88
T. Granger
Neil, you are right I can go to you and get crickets in 25s what does this person think 2 baby beardies are going to do with 500 pinheads in 3 days they would be to big for them to eat. Neil as you know my wife is a New Yorker and for her to say he was rude he must have been off the scale. I have had a couple private e-mails and from what I gather this Fernando also works for Reptile Warehouse in Atlanta and thanks to him and getting animals from L.A. Reptiles they are closing their doors this week. Gee, guess he is bringing his one man show south. Sorry to see your store go under Tom, first it was Angela and now Fernando. Where do you find these losers Tom?

Old 11-27-2002, 09:12 PM   #89
WebSlave
Question

Hey, I think that I missed something here.

What happened to Dave Lawson being at the store? It looked like Dave was turning the store around, and now this new guy is chasing people away right and left.

Did a few messages get dropped off of this thread?

Old 11-27-2002, 09:18 PM   #90
Neil Gubitz
Sorry.... no comment....

....Neil

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!