So I want to volunteer for a local reptile breeder.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
HeadGearSwag
So I want to volunteer for a local reptile breeder..

Alright, hey guys! This is my first post to this forum, so bear with me. I am 15 years old and am interested in trying to get into breeding. I thought it would be smart to try and apprentice or volunteer for a local breeder. But then I got to thinking if a breeder would trust a 15 year old with his or her's animals. What do you guys think? Would you trust a teen to work with your animals? Thanks!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
chrisis697
It comes down to you as a person. Everyone has to start somewhere, right. I feel that if you are diligent & passionate about the animals & show you can care for them properly, the rest is up to you on where you can take it. Good luck with your endeavors!!

Old 10-17-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
LauraB
What herps, specifically, are you interested in breeding?

What herps do you have experience with or working knowledge of?

Even a 15-year old could be trusted if that that person is honest, has a true interest, perhaps some experience and history, and is eager and willing to learn, listen, and always keep the animals best interests the first priority.

Please do volunteer ... prove yourself and grow from there

Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 AM   #4
ShawneeAlice
I don't think your age should really effect you, it all depends on your work ethic and your willingness to take direction and learn. I think it's commendable to want to get your foot in the door, and it would definitely help you work with a variety of species depending on what you do. Make sure you act professional, and show that you have what it takes to work hard! I wish you the best of luck Also, and I know this is not exactly for breeding or specifically reptiles, but wildlife/rehab centers are a great place to volunteer and often need the help.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Herps Alive!
FWIW, we are a rescue and 15 is our minimum volunteer age (we do allow 14-year-old 9th graders IF they are signed up through a school-mandated community service program. We have found that as long as they are properly trained and supervised, 15-year-olds work out just fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!