Ocean Oddessy in Saginaw Michigan - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
LakesideBoas
Ben, I was under the impression that the cysts that infect human and reptile were slightly different, therefore there was less risk of each species becoming infected by the other. Do you know if that is correct? I cannot seem to find anything that says conclusively that this is or isn't so. (I really need to root around in my basement for my school books most likely!)

Thanks for the comprehensive post!

Old 01-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
bcherps
I believe there are a couple of species specific crypto subspecies, also I believe there are a few species that are not problematic also. But I would also have to dig out some of my college books.

thanks
ben

Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #13
evansnakes
Ben, most large scale breeders have effectively eliminated the problems they have had with crypto by eliminating crickets. For whatever the scientific basis or reason for it, crypto is very present in crickets. I assume then it is similar to the parasite problems in feeder fish. The switch to worm species has culled the problem out of many facilities and collections. I know some people have had success using oral doses of albon on infected animals although I do not know why it works or how often.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #14
bcherps
reply to evansnakes

Albon is the brand/generic name for metrodiazonal.

Thanks
ben

Old 01-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
evansnakes
But flagyl, is just that, while albon coming in a liquid form, (which we can't legally get in this country in flagyl), is not the same. I would have to read the bottle to recall what the difference(s) is. But as liquid flagyl is dispensed in Mexico and other countries for whatever reason it is prohibited in the USA so by that, Albon could not be what you have said it to be. I am not trying to be argumentative just telling you something that I am not sure if you are aware of not.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #16
bcherps
Yeah, you are right, I checked my fridge, Albon is sulfadimethoxine. Albon does work for protozoans also. I used it a lot in dogs years ago when I started off in the pet trade and slightly when I was in the dairy industry.

Wouldn't be the first (probably not the last unfortunately) time I stuck my foot in my mouth!!

I would also agree with you when you stated that the number of large scalers have switched food sources which have in turn lowered the number of cases of crypto.

However, it is still a real and consistent problem in this industry becuase of a number of trends in this industry. Look at the number of hands some herp go through before they become someone's pet, look at the lack of pathogen control at the show level, and jobber level.

thanks
ben

Old 01-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #17
perefalcon
where is this crypto curing med available??? I want to make sure that I have it in case I ever get another unidentifiable disease...besides the vet prolly charges an arm and a leg for it

Old 01-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #18
evansnakes
I totally aggree Ben. I have been a show promoter and a vendor at hundreds of shows all over the country as well as dealing with many many pet stores over the years and it is really shocking how many people just do not even understand that they should wash their hands more often or not go from cage to cage watering everything at the same time. I think the main problem is the same with any business. You get people that are just out for a buck and all other concerns like the animals health or the customers satisfaction come in much farther down the list of priorities.

Tonya, to my knowledge there is no cure. Even treatments do not work in many cases.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!