Breeding ??? Ratio male vs female - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
Manbatepig
Breeding ??? Ratio male vs female

Question for those who breed. Do you have a ratio for males and females. For example one male to breed two female or vise versa or is it a 1:1 ratio. Thanks

Old 09-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
Randall Turner
I try to keep it 1 to 1. Although I will consider using a male with a 2nd female if he is in good shape. (I've only done it a few times in 15+ years).

Old 09-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Manbatepig
Thanks I’m thinking of getting a second female and flip flop them each season so they get a year off between breeding. I’d be using the same male for both.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #4
Randall Turner
That's a common practice. I always give a female a year off after having a litter, keep in mind that the occasional female will still cycle on her own regardless of our plans.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
JCCS
Male boas can be really finicky at times, so I generally had a few more males than females in case a male wasn't in the mood. Most of my pairings were VERY specific though, so it was more just finding the right male for the right female and crossing fingers they like each other. I spent three years attempting before I got one particular pairing to go but it was worth the wait.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!