Why hots? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #11
Roscoe09
I agree with Crotulas people just want bragging rights and honestly I think it’s the younger generation like me. I heard about a fourteen year old who bought two gaboon vipers. It didn’t end well with the police. But there are honorable people who milk as said above the snakes. To save and help future diseases and disorders. There are a few snakes that hold the key to cancer. I have a question though. Are boigas considered hots? I would love to work with this genus (after quite a bit of experience later). There not listed as venomous here they’re under Other Snakes.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #12
Crotulas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
I agree with Crotulas people just want bragging rights and honestly I think it’s the younger generation like me. I heard about a fourteen year old who bought two gaboon vipers. It didn’t end well with the police. But there are honorable people who milk as said above the snakes. To save and help future diseases and disorders. There are a few snakes that hold the key to cancer. I have a question though. Are boigas considered hots? I would love to work with this genus (after quite a bit of experience later). There not listed as venomous here they’re under Other Snakes.
For medical purposes, research, and zoos... I agree...looked up the boigas ...they are neat...says the biggest risk is infection....they are rear-fanged and mildly poisonous...it says they rarely bite....got my info on Wikipedia

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #13
BlueCrowned
That's what they said about boomslangs too until someone died... There are a few rear fanged species I find interesting but I won't risk it. You never know when you might have an allergy either.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #14
Roscoe09
Yeah I read that they’re similar to hognoses but the colors make it look more dangerous. I think venomous snakes to stick to professional and not the ambitious.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
Crotulas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
That's what they said about boomslangs too until someone died... There are a few rear fanged species I find interesting but I won't risk it. You never know when you might have an allergy either.
Boomslangs are definitely poisonus...I worry about allergies too...thats why I want have a lionfish or scorpion fish in my saltwater rank lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #16
BlueCrowned
Yeah... But until someone was bitten and died they were not considered to be of huge concern due to being rear fanged! Read an interesting article about it when researching beaked snakes.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #17
Donald C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
I disagree on the "younger generation" statement. If you go to any show that deals in venomous, you will notice that it is predominately older keepers that are selling. I do know a few people around my age that keep hots as well, but most of the keepers I know are quite a bit older than me.

Also, pretty much all venomous vendors refuse to sell to anyone under the age of 18, where some go as far as under the age of 21 can't buy. A case of a 14yo with gaboons, if true, shows a serious breach in terms of consideration for the hobby.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #18
Roscoe09
I don’t mean younger people selling them. I’m talking about the younger inexperienced buying. I too see at expos the older generation selling. I do think that people should be IDed before buying venomous snakes like alcohol. I mean no offense to the responsible younger generation. I graduate you for your success. I my self would not be able to do this.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
WebSlave
I would think that people selling venomous snakes are taking on one hell of a risk of liability if there is an injury or death caused by those animals. Would any insurance agency offer those sellers product liability insurance? Heck, I guess you can't claim that the product is defective if the venom does what it is designed to do and delivered in a manner consistent with the "design". Just a shame that your hand got in the way.

With the public being as lawsuit happy as it is, I would certainly be VERY circumspect about the returns outweighing the liability in selling hots to the general public. Regardless of age. "Logic challenged" and careless people come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I would think that people selling venomous snakes are taking on one hell of a risk of liability if there is an injury or death caused by those animals.
Exactly. Many times injuries from wild animals including snakes are judged by an 'absolute liability' standard. That means even if the seller had no bad intentions, and even if he took the utmost care housing and transporting the snake, if there is an injury, he can be many times held liable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!