Are you prepared for your own disability? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
We were very lucky they all went around us. Some very scary moments huddled in my bathroom with the dogs. We have a storm shelter but I was at home alone and could not get to it. So im extra lucky they went a around. Also extra lucky we had prepared 4 a storm. We don't have electricity but I have this smart phone and we have a generator we are using several hours a day for freezer and fridge. We are also able to help some of our neighbors

Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
WebSlave
Good to see you are getting better.

Yeah, I know about that disability planning thing. That's exactly why I knew I had to retire and get rid of the animals. Better to do it now when it was a conscious decision and able to do it on my terms rather than when I or Connie were laid up in a hospital. My wake up call was when I got appendicitis during egg laying season. I took the hint....

Of course, I still need to come up with a contingency plan for this site and my others if I should kick the bucket suddenly...

Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM View Post
We were very lucky they all went around us. Some very scary moments huddled in my bathroom with the dogs. We have a storm shelter but I was at home alone and could not get to it. So im extra lucky they went a around. Also extra lucky we had prepared 4 a storm. We don't have electricity but I have this smart phone and we have a generator we are using several hours a day for freezer and fridge. We are also able to help some of our neighbors
Glad to hear everything is OK, Cheryl. I'm wondering about preparedness and routine for the livestock when a storm is coming in your area. I would assume probably isn't to much one can do. Might make a interesting thread if a topic was started on it. I have received a lot mixed messages particularly when it comes to horses. For instance, I have talked to several people in South Alabama and Florida that say they turn their horses out (if they aren't packing up and leaving) when a hurricane is coming. They feel it's safer than stabling. Others stating the opposite. I have heard horror stories from those that have done both. I guess there is no stats on it one way or another.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Southern Wolf
My guess is they turn them out so they have a fighting chance.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
That's what we do. We leave the barns open and the animals choose where they want to be. If its. Bad they usually are down in the woods on the back of the pasture

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!