Wheat? Or What? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Lucille
Wheat? Or What?

I did not realize that Texas actually produces a fair amount of wheat, I've never seen it grown that I know of so maybe the wheat fields are off in the boonies somewhere, they're not in the burbs.
I'm wanting to plant a grain; I tried corn a couple times and maybe I'm doing something wrong but it did not work well. The corn ears were small. every bug in Texas stopped by, and the harvest was miniscule.

I looked on the Texas A&M site and they were talking about spraying and maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I used to spray crops, now I don't and for most of what I grow that is no problem. I do use a fire ant insecticide in the lawn area but that's about it.

Any grain ideas for next year? And do you spray?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Southern Wolf
They grow wheat in AR during the fall/winter months. They prolly do the same down in TX.

Look into companion planting for your corn. Chances are you can find plants that will help with your bug problem.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
leosamson
I used marigold plants near all my vegetables. Marigolds are a natural insect repellant. also try using worm casting in sowing area. They provide many nutrients and water hugging benefits.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!