rate my first picture of my beardie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment

Notices

Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical and practical details of how to take good pictures and videos, as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
gavinrmsy
rate my first picture of my beardie

1-10 scalelet me know how it looks

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
SirenSanJose
For a first ever photo, that's quite good. You got the most important thing down, which is "a good, clean focus on the main object in the frame" -- the beardie's head, in this case. That's nice and sharp. Much better than some of the first blurry photos I ever took!

These are some things you'll want to think about and are learned habits over time:

- eliminate distractions in the other parts of the photo. The styrofoam corners and lines in the upper part of the photo take away attention from the beardie.

- often -- but not always -- having the object be half in, half out of the frame is usually less than ideal, as it creates a visual sense of things being incomplete.

- you also need to work on your lighting a bit, as the "white" background looks gray -- that's a hard thing to get down, and takes a lot of practice. I still mess it up a lot myself.

So I took your photo and cropped it a little bit, and used Lightroom to adjust the white balance. (Ideally, I would have liked to have the image a little more "zoomed out" -- a little more white space around the beardie's head, but I couldn't crop out the black lines unless I cut it that close.)

Keep in mind I'm a novice, myself, and I'm sure a pro could clean this picture up a lot better than I did. But just take a look at the two side by side, and it may help you start to get an "eye" for things.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
WebSlave
Also, look up and understand the concept of "rule of thirds" in your composition. It doesn't seem intuitive at first, but after you use it a while, you'll understand the power of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!