I built a barn! (pics) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I built a barn! (pics)

All by myself! And I’m pretty darned proud of myself!!! It’s not quite done~ still needs another screen in one window and to be painted~ going to be red with white trim. But it’s far enough along that the animals can move in and now some fence work is taking priority. I’ll get to the painting soon I hope! But since this is as far as it’s going to get for another few weeks I decided to pat myself on the back and show it off!!

It started as just a car port I had installed (so I didn’t build that part~ but I did all the rest!) It was just the metal uprights and the roof. Then I added the sides, ends, windows and the dutch doors. Harder than you think! I didn’t know how to build dutch doors~ and the mechanics behind lifting an 18 foot 2X4 over my head and holding it in place while fastening it to the frame almost defeated me!! But I got them up there! I also added a wall in the middle and screening so that ½ is for poultry and ½ is for goats. There is a pic of the smaller goat door (so goats can go in and out in the rain without having to have the large doors open. No pic of the even smaller poultry door because it is blocked by the temporary fence I put up to teach the ducks and guineas that they live in there now. It cost a little more than I anticipated~ good pressure treated wood costs a little more than I thought (and it weighs a LOT more than I thought!!!) All together~ the carport, wood, door hardware, more screws than I thought I needed and paint (when I get to it) the barn cost about $1500~ so not cheap but not nearly what it would have cost to have one built…….and I get to look out there and say “I did that!”

Pic with the dutch doors open on one end

dutch doors closed~ goat door open

Goat sneaking some feed on the poultry side (she KNOWS the chicken feed is in there and desperately wants in that side of the barn every chance she gets!)

pic of the inside from the poultry side

Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Wolfy-hound
That's one spiffy barn. Fill it with mulch and just add tegus.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I'm going to add about 50 more chickens, some more goats. Then I'm going to build another one in the other pasture and add cows (and more chickens.....I'm really into poultry right now!) Then......I'm going to sleep for the rest of my life! I have more projects than time and energy!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
johns6068
Nice Job it looks awesome =)

Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Cheryl, that looks excellent! and heck, i think the carport idea was brilliant.

Lets see it when its all full of poultry and goats!!! Congrats hun, you did a great job!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
Paraphrasing:

Though the task has belted and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Great work!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
xanaxez
Very nice barn. great job on turning the carport into a barn lol i couldnt imagine doing it i do not have the time or patience. well done and i think it will look awesome when completed so youdeserve a pat on your back from yourself and all of us.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Cat_72
So THAT is what you almost killed yourself building! It looks GREAT, woman!!

I'm sure those critters appreciate all the work you put into it (well, except for the goat not being able to get at the chicken feed lol), they've got some high-class digs now!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks guys~
I started to prime it today but my nieghbor pointed out that I should not for at least 90 days~ preferably a year because the wood was wet when I built it. He says the paint will peal off even with the primer if I don't let the pressure treated wood dry up good first. Okay~ cool~ that project done for now then!

I'd like to take a break~ but my nieghbor was over talking to me so we could work out my next project. PIGS. Got a pasture piece picked out for them~ nieghbor wants to go in on the work to prep it with me so he can keep a couple pigs in it too. So now........I need to find out what I have to build to keep pigs!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
Southern Wolf
Cheryl... how about some updated pics of this barn you built. Girl... I think your rubbiin off on me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!