Extended travel plans to reconsider... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 11-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
WebSlave
Extended travel plans to reconsider...

Connie and I have been talking about traveling ever since we retired, but seems that something is always coming up. Then with the problems made known about the issue of illegal immigrants sneaking into our country via the southern border, and the concern that people who are breaking the law likely aren't going to be much concern with breaking more of them, sort of puts a big damper on those plans anyway.

And certainly, news worthy incidents such as this certainly don't get me to thinking that perhaps I am just being a shade too paranoid for my own good.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-dep...ered-rv-stolen

Interestingly enough, I very recently traded in one of the cars and purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk specifically with travel in mind. This Jeep has a 7200 lb towing capacity and would be perfect for pulling a smallish travel trailer. I like the Wrangler, but the 2 door version that we have has a limit of only 2,000 pounds for towing. And I had been pushing this thought of travel closer to the front burner as a result of obtaining the Grand Cherokee.

But really not sure how good of an idea that is with obviously predatory illegal aliens pouring through our porous southern border into our southwestern most states. In my opinion, knowingly going into an area that is ground zero for a bunch of desperate criminals illegally coming into this country just is not a very smart idea.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
JColt
Bad people in Mexico, bad people in USA. Just about every state has area's you probably want to avoid. Like they said in the movie American Werewolf in London. Boys, keep off the moors, stick to the roads. The best to ya....

Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 AM   #3
LauraB
Head to the southwest. Head to the gorgeous mountains, valleys and everything in between. No reason to be paranoid. You will both be glad you did

Old 11-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
snowgyre
If you look at the statistics, the crime rate with immigrants (papered or not) is the same or less than other groups. If you look at how news reports crime, minority crime almost always makes headlines (especially with Blacks and Hispanics) while white crime goes largely unreported. Also, immigrants don't want to get caught so they keep their heads low for the most part. I wouldn't let fear get in the way of any potential travel plans. I visited Texas a few years ago and things were fine, more Spanish speakers than elsewhere in the country but Spanish is pretty easy to learn and communication wasn't hard. Great food there too. I even visited Brownsville which is right on the border and had no issues at all. Went through a border check, crossed into Mexico, and came back the same day. It was completely fine and I'm a 5'4" youngish white chick.

The truth is, travel in the United States is some of the safest travel you'll ever do compared to crime rates in some other countries.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
som16724
Ah, its good to know someone else hasnt let the hype ruin their travel plans. The southwest is a wonderful place to visit, especially when a lot of the country is icy. Not to mention the tucson gem mineral and fossil show is something everybody should go to at least once, plus I think arizona is an open carry state, nevada too, if that helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!