Mites- solid wood top - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
catawhat
Mites- solid wood top

I have been having a mite issue with one of my snakes. Used mite spray, soaked the snake, throughly bleached/cleaned the tank and I am still finding the dang things. My question is, could the mites be surviving in the wooden top (use that instead of a screen, keeps the humidity much more stable). Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ingrid

Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
hhmoore
Absolutely, if you haven't been treating/cleaning that as well.
Of course, a lot of the treatment depends on the type of mite spray you are using. I use Equate (WalMart) bedding spray, found with lice treatment products in the HBA section, and have found it to be very effective. Generally, this type of treatment is done with the snake NOT in the cage. I have, when treating lidded Steriltes, sprayed the top with the snake still in the box. (of course, the top is fully removed and there is no risk of spraying the snake.) Then I just replace the lid and put the box back on the shelf.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
DAND
As for your wooden lid, I'd suggest freezing it. That should kill off any hiding little buggers.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
hhmoore
I have used the Equate spray on wooden cages also, and had good results. For your situation, you should also spray/treat the top. The best approach would depend on the type of mite spray you are using..

Freezing the top may be effective on mites - I've never tried it - but does it kill the eggs, David?
(oh, and if you opt for the freezing method, don't forget to warm it up before putting it back on the tank, lol)

Old 10-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I have used the Equate spray on wooden cages also, and had good results. For your situation, you should also spray/treat the top. The best approach would depend on the type of mite spray you are using..

Freezing the top may be effective on mites - I've never tried it - but does it kill the eggs, David?
(oh, and if you opt for the freezing method, don't forget to warm it up before putting it back on the tank, lol)
Yep, the freezing does kill the eggs too. I had a friend who had taken in a rescue that had mites. The tank which it came in had a home made wooden lid. He treated the snake and the tank but the mites kept coming back. After I suggested freezing the lid the mite problem ended.

And yes, let it warm back up before putting it back on.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
kmurphy
Quote:
I have, when treating lidded Steriltes, sprayed the top with the snake still in the box. (of course, the top is fully removed and there is no risk of spraying the snake.) Then I just replace the lid and put the box back on the shelf.
Just curious about this statement Harald. Are you saying that's all you spray is the top? If so does it work?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Just curious about this statement Harald. Are you saying that's all you spray is the top? If so does it work?
Weeeellllllll, that depends on how you look at it. Frequently, the first indication one gets of mites is seeing them on the top of a sterilite box. If the box is clean, I see no reason to disturb the snake. I give the top a quick spray, put it back on and pop it back on the shelf. (If I was opening the box to clean it, I do so; then either spray the substrate or the top.) Of course, mites don't limit themselves to a particular box, so even if I haven't seen any others, the rest of the boxes in the rack get sprayed...and the shelves of the rack, and the sides, and the floor around it, lol - but, yes, it works.

*It sounds like a lot of spraying, but it really isn't - just a quick shot per box. My racks are melamine (with unfinished edges), so they could harbor the little buggers if I didn't hit them too.
**Obviously, I use the lids on my boxes. If you are using a lidless system, I would probably just hit the substrate.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
catawhat
Thanks, never thought of freezing the lids. I appreciate the advice

Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
barbie69
Quote:
Originally Posted by catawhat
Thanks, never thought of freezing the lids. I appreciate the advice
Yeah, that is a way better idea than re-cutting new lids every time . I had the same issue with solid wood lids and eventually just cut all new lids because the wood was so porus I had trouble treating it with spray. Next time I will definately try this!! Thanks from me too!!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
DAND
Glad to help the both of you. You're both welcome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!