Boa drinking profusely/Red shaded belly? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
CeaserGirl938
Boa drinking profusely/Red shaded belly?

I've got a female, 6ft Columbia red tail. Tonight I noticed that when I filled her water, she went straight for it and started drinking, and hasn't stopped for close to 20 minutes. She also seems to run the front of her nose along the bottom of the dish. When I took her out to look at her, her belly has a red shade to it. I've seen this before in ball pythons, when they are going into shed, but never in my boas. Just about three weeks ago she went through shed, and it came off fine other than a rub spot scab that had been on her nose for a while since before I got her, it looks like a bit of the shed was retained there. It is NOT covering her nostrils or any part of her eyes or mouth. This is the first time I have ever seen her display this behavior. About two weeks ago, her heat lamp bulb finally gave out, so I got her a new one, that was a bit higher wattage, because the old one was not keeping the temps up. Though every time I place the light someone, she seems to move to the other side of her tank. I'm not sure if this is because its too hot, or if there is something else wrong.This is all the info I have in regards to her and anything that has changed recently. Any ideas are appreciated. I plan to keep a close eye on her and talk to my local herp vet too. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Payara
What's the substrate your using? Temps?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Helenthereef
Does her belly normally redden pre-shed? If that's fairly normal I'm wondering if the head under water and nose rubbing is her way of trying to get that retained nose scab off. I've had snakes shed again quite soon after an incomplete attempt.

But I am NO expert............

Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
CeaserGirl938
Using aspen bedding, have been since I got her two years ago and never any problems. The temps level out in my room alone at mid 80's due to all the lamps, heat pads, computer and game systems >.<, and then under her lamp the thermom is reading about 90. I saw her belly get a little red last time but she shed just a short time ago that it getting red again so soon worries me. I've checked on her this morning and she seems ok, other than being really fat looking. I'm guessing thats from downing so much water. Going to stop by the local herp vet today to ask.

Would there be a way to easily remove that extra shed from her nose? I've heard sometimes of using certain oils (can't remember which).

Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Durante
I know you said she was about 6 foot, what size tank is she in? I know fish tanks dont hold humidity well, that may be why she still has some left over skin shed. Try misting a bit here & there, maybe get a larger water bowl then what your using could help. Be careful with some oils if you decide to try that. I remember hearing some prolonged use can soften scales somewhere, chances are she will get it off or it will come off it's self during next shed anyway. I know snakes can get a pinkish belly prior to shedding but was curious if you had any under tank heaters also & if your using a different aspen bedding brand then you normally use? I know Florida is better then PA but definitely check the humidity levels out. Good Luck & Keep us posted

Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
CeaserGirl938
The aspen has always been the same, I think when i get paid tomorrow I'm going to try picking up a new bag and giving her all fresh stuff. The humidity in the part of florida I live in is like an AVERAGE of in the 80% range during the summer and I mist daily. She has a water dish big enough to fit her whole body in. Her tank is a 75g. Its 4ft long and 18" deep. Going to be saving to buy a 6' boaphile soon for her, but I've been told her tank since is fine. Thanks for the help, and I'll let you all know what the vet says after I talk to him today, leaving finally in about an hour.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
hadenglock
Average humidity outside of the tank will not matter if you're keeping her in a fish tank with heat bulbs overtop. This method of heating rapidly evaporates any humidity in the tank. Consider soaking her 1-2 times weekly to ensure proper hydration and try to get her in a pvc cage asap.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!